Monday, October 7, 2013

U.I.L. or BUST!


U.I.L. -- From the U.I.L. website: The University Interscholastic League exists to provide educational extracurricular academic, athletic, and music contests. The UIL was created by The University of Texas at Austin in 1910 and has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world.

U.I.L. October 2012, Elk Stadium, Burleson High School
Show music: Mysteries of the Nile

Sonshine's high school marching band has attended U.I.L. for the last I don't know how many years. But not this year. Sadly, they're not ready. Their readiness (and scores) have declined over the past three years. And, this year, the new band director has decided not to take them. I don't blame him for not wanting to take them, though I do believe their lack of preparedness lays partially on his shoulders.

I'm disappointed because what the hack are we working towards anyway besides just playing at football games?

This past Saturday, DD passed a pair of school buses and a pair of Enterprise trucks. The buses were full of some high school band and the Enterprise trucks no doubt full of instruments and possibly props and all on their way to a contest.

How well I remember those days. Sonshine's first year in the band was the hardest but ultimately the best. I cussed out the band director several times that year--the 56' boat prop (seven 4' sections on casters) was heavy as heck. But it was memorable. They attended a handful of contests and generally scored 1s and 2s (more 2s than 1s though) and they marched in several parades.


This year...well, y'all know all about this year.

There may be hope however. There's an organization called Drum Corps International that Sonshine is interested in. It's gonna up his game ten-fold in all areas. Video games will be a thing of the past. Cost-wise, it seems reasonable. We can handle it IF he gets in. The big question is is he going to step up and not only stay on top of his studies, but make time to practice too.

I did tell him he had raise his grades to and maintain Bs in all his classes or the whole endeavor is a no go. I guess we'll see what happens.

As for U.I.L., even though Sonshine's band isn't competing, DD, Sonshine and I decided to go anyway--as mere spectators this year. Sadly, my UIL mug collection will forever remain incomplete.



3 comments:

Regina Richards said...

Maybe a mug of the two of you in the stands?

Unknown said...

I came thisclose to marching with the Cadets during summer drum corps when I was in high school. A lot of my friends did, and they really loved it.

Unknown said...

Together with many thanks around the Write-up. Your articles may be handy. We have supply distinctive your website with the longer term write-up.

Sex Toys