Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wishful Wednesday


Last time I posted a wishful Wednesday, I talked about how I'd love to be able to put up a privacy fence around the rest of my yard.

This time, I'm changing direction, and this wish requires way more money and people way smarter than me to take this dream and make it a reality.

So what is this wish, you ask...

A school!

I'd like it to look something like this, but beggars can't be choosers!!
This is Birmingham Business School, and the image has been placed in the public domain by the copyright owner.


It's no big secret that our educational system has many many issues, and my wish here (if you're gonna dream, you may as well dream BIG, right???) is to create an environment that not only teaches children what they need to know knowledge-wise and then some, but also how society works. I know you're probably wondering what I mean by that and I'll tell you eventually or it may become clear as I ramble.

But let's start with the school...I want it to be birth to twelfth grade. Interesting concept, huh? The reason for that is not because I want to start teaching kids that young but because I want the older kids to have access/exposure to younger children of all ages.

I want no politics. I'm not sure how to pull that off, but this school is about the kids. About how to educate them to the best of our ability. Not about making more money or becoming principle or getting on the school board. I mean those things are not bad in and of themselves, but if that's a teacher or an administrator's primary focus, they're in the wrong place.

The last thing I'm gonna mention as part of my ideal school is I want kids to be tested and then placed in classrooms with like-learning peers and be taught the way they learn best. Sonshine is an auditory learner. If he hears it (a couple of times), he knows it. So lecturers are his ideal teachers. Me--not so much. DD and I like to have instructions and the ability to do the thing.

So what do you think?

I have a lot of other plans and ideas to cover at some point, and I hope you'll share your own.

4 comments:

Lynne Kensington said...

I would love to see where you go with this. As for me, the perfect classroom would be hands-on. Also good for Mr. Testosterone & the Wonder Teen.

Regina Richards said...

I homeschooled mine K-8. I had each one tested to see what their favored learning style was and then taught them the way they learned best. It worked unbelievably well so I think your school would be great because it would do the same.

The school day at my perfect school only lasts until the work allotted for the day is complete - no sitting in classrooms wasting time and becoming brain-numb from boredom. Get it done and get out. Once the day's allotted work is complete it's time to go play in the sunshine. Worked like a charm in homeschool. The kids got up, got it done, and went off to play with the dog, read a favorite novel, build backyard forts, or spend time with friends.

I support Freedom of Educational Choice.

Char Newcomb said...

The last thing I'm gonna mention as part of my ideal school is I want kids to be tested and then placed in classrooms with like-learning peers and be taught the way they learn best.

I've been saying this for 25 years & no one listens. Forget the idea of grades 1, 2, etc. Have kids accomplish a set goal/level, and then they advance so they might be 5th grade english but 8th grade math.

Jen FitzGerald said...

Great ideas, ladies! Thanks for chiming in.