For more information about my proof reading services, click here.
2015 Reading Challenge
I've pledged to read 26 books via the official Goodreads challenge. The rest of my 3 million words will more than likely come via proofreading jobs and fan fiction. Everything will be listed on the other side of the blog and you can view the details and numbers here.
- ▼ 2015 (74)
- ► 2014 (150)
- ► 2013 (154)
- ► 2012 (175)
- ► 2011 (119)
- ► 2010 (90)
- ► 2009 (64)
- ► 2008 (116)
- 2015 (74)
- 2014 (150)
- 2013 (154)
- 2012 (175)
- 2011 (119)
- 2010 (90)
- 2009 (64)
- 2008 (116)
- 2007 (32)
You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "
Friday, July 3, 2015
8:25 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
Sadly, our flag is becoming offensive to many, though they have no qualms about accepting all that our flag stands for and offers. Our country is being denigrated and made a laughing stock from within and from the top rungs of leadership. It makes me really sad.
I'm waiting and hoping for the day to come soon when the real reason we have the Second Amendment comes into play and America's citizens say no more. It'll be a scary time, but our country needs us.
Now go out and celebrate what's left of our freedom before it's gone.
Wednesday, July 1, 2015
9:11 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
I have to attend a visitation this evening... Sadly, the father of DD's best friend and room mate (two different people, but brother and sister), died this past Monday. He'd been diagnosed with a brain tumor early last year and had undergone treatment and surgery. It seemed to have done the trick and then, well, it game back and was a bit more aggressive and then there wasn't anything to be done. They had to put him in the hospital last week and sedate him heavily as things were getting bad.
For the first time in my life I really know how other people feel. It'll be six years in November that my own dad died. That it had actually been six years surprised me. I guess I don't count the years that often, but I remember the last days in the hospital with my brothers and sisters and step mom. I remember the decision to take Dad off life support and then the waiting for him to decide it was okay for him to go. I even remember the time of death.
So anyway, while I'd only met the man and his wife once, his children are important to my child and so I shall go and support her and express my heartfelt condolences for their loss. I know it all too well.
Monday, June 29, 2015
6:23 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
No, I'm not talking about The Beatles or the Rolling Stones. As you well know by now, I was a teen in the 80s. I think music is an important part of most teenagers' lives no matter what genre they favor. Mom listened mostly to country music, which I still enjoy as previous Music Mondays can attest. But my listening pleasures were also influenced by me peers. In addition to that, I actually lived in the U.K. for about seven months in 1983.
So let's take another little trip down memory lane, British Invasion Style. Today's offering from artists across The Pond are...
Paul Young - Every Time You Go Away
Tracey Ullman - You Broke My Heart in Seventeen Places
UB40 - Red Red Wine
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On, Eileen
Hope you have a super week.
Labels: British artists, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Music Monday, Paul Young, pop music, Tracey Ullman, UB40 | 0 comments
Wednesday, June 24, 2015
9:15 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
My sunflower is close to seven feet now and there's one blooming, and several others getting ready to bloom.
Ten days ago...
I love summer flowers and I definitely want more.
What about you?
Monday, June 22, 2015
8:22 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
Sorry I'm running late today... usually I think about this post on Sunday, but I just didn't get around to it.
Today, let's talk ABBA! This was a group I was familiar with from elementary age because my mother came from Denmark, and while I was visiting Denmark and grandparents around aged eight or nine, we happened to see ABBA on the TV.
So some fun facts about ABBA--
1) They are the second best selling music group of all time after the Beatles.
2) ABBA was the first group to come from a non-English-speaking country to enjoy consistent success in the charts of English-speaking countries.
3) They won the Eurovision Song Contest 1974 at the Dome in Brighton, UK, giving Sweden its first triumph in the contest and were the most successful group ever to take part in the competition.
4) ABBA is an acronym of the first letters of the band members' first names.
5) The group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on 15 March 2010.
I have loved their music since that trip to Denmark, even when it wasn't so cool to be an ABBA fan--you know those junior high and high school years. And I love them to this day, although I haven't listened to them in a while.
Probably the most known/popular ABBA song is Dancing Queen.
Two of my faves include...
Lay All Your Love on Me
and Does Your Mother Know
Are you an ABBA fan? What you're favorite song??
Labels: Abba, Dancing Queen, Does Your Mother Know, Lay All Your Love on Me, Music Monday | 0 comments
Friday, June 19, 2015
6:50 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
Along with not talking about the yard much, I haven't mentioned my backyard babies much either. I was pleased to discover that I in fact have a squirrel nest in one of my trees!
The grass up close to the patio and around the tree is also littered with small divots where they've been digging up their stash of acorns...
A couple of weeks ago, I was treated to this little guy right outside my home office window.
Anyway--have a great weekend!!!
Wednesday, June 17, 2015
5:31 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
My back yard! So what's going on with it these days?? Not much really. We had so much rain through April and May that it was all we could do to keep it mowed. There was no time or effort left over for much else. But June brought heat and things are drying out. I did trim up the azalea bush and weed one of the flower beds, so it's looking rather nice. Now if only the wisteria would bloom. I'll have to do a little research on that. The lemon slice super bells are blooming, though...
Now, my other flower bed was flooded by all the rain and gets regularly trampled on by the dog, so it's a lost cause. There's a flower bed kit at The Home Depot I'm saving up for though. And it'll go in this spot. It'll be raised up a bit and I'll probably invest in some decorative fencing to keep the dog out too.
I found this vinca growing up out of the spaces in the patio.
And I have a sunflower growing in the bird feeder bed...it's taller than me now. I can't wait till it blooms.
Have a great rest of the week!
Monday, June 15, 2015
6:37 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
As I announced on Friday, it was my birthday, and I'd been having a good week until then. Well, the week just got better!
The JAG gals and I went out to eat on Friday as per ususal, and I was given birthday cards and presents! They even sang me happy birthday and paid for my dinner. I had such a wonderful time catching up, talking, laughing, and generally bonding with these women.
Friday I shared a group photo from five years ago when we visited the USS Lexington. Here's this year's group photo.
Saturday was another day of fun, just laughing and talking.
Then I found out my super celebrity crush Benedict Cumberbatch's baby was born--so do I share a birthday with the Cumberbaby??? How cool would that be?? (My wedding anniversary is the same day as BC's birthday!)
Sunday, I had lunch with my dear friend Nancy. Our visit was fantastic as usual. Our topics of conversation range far and wide and I love that so much. I also had birthday dinner with DH and DD along with DD's BFF. They ate, but I'd had enough food over the course of the weekend that I was too full to eat. So I just had dessert.
And that was my super fantastic birthday week. I'll be making pupcakes (pumpkin cupcakes) for next week's writers group. :)
Hope you had a great weekend too!
Labels: babies, Benedict Cumberbatch, birthdays, fandom friends are forever friends, fun, happy birthday, JAG, the weekend | 0 comments
Friday, June 12, 2015
7:07 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
It's my birthday today, though that's not my cake... If I made a cake, it'd be pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting.
As mentioned, Wednesday, I received my birthday present and my cool new purse. I ordered some stuff for my Sherlock sampler and at least one of those packages will arrive today, so it'll be like more presents!
And then I get to leave work early today and go enjoy annual JAG get together weekend with the JAG contingent of my friends.
Sunday will be lunch with some other lovely ladies and then dinner with the family.
So it's been a wonderful birthday week!!
I'd also like to send congratulations to my friend Lara, who occasionally stops by the blog--she and her hubster have welcomed their new baby into the world. CONGRATS!!!
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
6:37 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
So Friday's my birthday, but through a quirk of circumstance, I ended up with my birthday gift a couple of days early!
On this new tablet, I have access to all my various email accounts, all kinds of TV show watching apps, as well as my social media sites. Plus there's a camera and an FM radio! Too cool.
In addition to my new tablet, my new I-survived-running-my-chapter's-writing-contest reward also arrived. Last year, I bought myself this...which I still have and still use. But it's a little large. Though great for traveling as I discovered last fall while visiting Sonshine at boot camp.
My reward this year, in honor of a new fandom love, I got this...
Yep--a purse made out of a book. :) I'm so terribly excited. Sometimes a gal just needs to let her fan girl tendencies run amok.
That pattern there, on the second picture, it's the pattern of the wallpaper in the BBC's Sherlock 221B set!! How cool is that?? Can't wait to show it off.
Are you a fan person? There are all levels you know, from lurker to fan writer or fan artist to cos player or podcast producer.
Do you participate in any fandoms at any level of fannishness?? Do tell!
- Jen FitzGerald
- Thanks for stopping by one of my little corners of the world wide web. So, a little about me...My husband and I have been married for twenty years and we have three adult children although our youngest is still in high school. We've lived in Texas for fifteen years and for the rest of the story, click here.
Jen's Glossary of Terms
Read in July 2015
Read in June 2015
- Northwest Passage by Kryptaria
- All You Need is Rum by EventHorizon
- Paperwork by EmmaGrant
- Modesty Has Never Been One of Mr Holmes' Requirements by dogandmonkeyshow
- The Breath That Passed From You to Me by rsadelle
- FAQ by ancientreader
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 71 by serpentynka
- The Blog of Eugenia Watson by Mad_Lori
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 70 by serpentynka
- That Try Men's Souls by EventHorizon
- The Snow King by EventHorizon
- Fingers Might Talk by EventHorizon
- Sunshine On My Shoulders by EventHorizon
- Saturday Matinee by EventHorizon
- Worth a Thousand Words by EventHorizon
- Enemy Mine by EventHorizon
- Tabula Rasa by EventHorizon
- A Man Can't Have Any Peace by EventHorizon
- The Most Wonderful Time of the Year by EventHorizon
- The Christmas Spirit by EventHorizon
- The Eye of the Beholder by EventHorizon
- It's Not Always Wine and Roses by EventHorizon
- The Adventure of the Devil's Foot by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax by Arthur Conan Doyle
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 69 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 68 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 67 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 66 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 65 by serpentynka
- Just a Kiss by EmmaGrant
- Kind of Blue by EmmaGrant
- Orange by EmmaGrant
- Sheets by EmmaGrant
- The Adventure of the Dying Detective by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Adventure of the Red Circle by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Making Of by EmmaGrant
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 64 by serpentynka
- En Passant by unknown
- The Bruce Partington Plans by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Downpour by keelywolf
- Fair Play to the Queen by keelywolf
- Dreaming in Lucidity by keelywolf
- Sleep When I'm Dead by keelywolf
- This Endless Distraction by keelywolf
- Unforgiven by keelywolf
- Bedside Manner by keelywolf
- The Arsenal Offside Trap by keelywolf
- Lyrical Debauchery by keelywolf
- This Rebellious Nature by keelywolf
- Same Old Skies of Gray by imachar
- I've Been Chasing Grace by imachar
- In Practice by graywash
- Sherlock Meta by loudestsubtextintelevision
- As You Consume the Longitudes by coloredink
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 63 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 62 by serpentynka
- The British Government Only Asks Twice by azriona
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 61 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 60 by serpentynka
- Vanilla by azriona
- How to Court Your Blogger by PipMer
- Power Play by azriona
Read in May 2015
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 59 by serpentynka
- Go Again by Eva
- Trap by Eva
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 58 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 57 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 56 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 55 by serpentynka
- Human Remains by saziikins
- M is for Mummy by azriona
- Uncertainty by azriona
- Dark Chocolate by azriona
- A Bell Rings, Every Time by azriona
- Comfort and Joy by azriona
- Why He Wasn't There by azriona
- Masturbation by azriona
- Human Remains by saziikins
- The Planes by saziikins
- Transitions by saziikins
- The Last Chance by saziikins
- 30 Moments: Mycroft Holmes & Greg Lestrade
- Contagion by saziikins
- Rue Morgue by saki101
- Safer by saki101
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 54 by serpentynka
- Necropolis by saki101
- Cleaner Air by pandoras_chaos
- Insidious by pandoras_chaos
- Dangerous Games by azriona
- When Mycroft Met Lestrade by ihuntyoudown
- Seizures of the Heart by unknown
- At the End of the Day by alafaye
- Remember When I Moved in You by sc010f
- Caring is Not an Advantage by flubber2kool
- Breakthrough by stardust_made
- Check by alafaye
- Proper Care of a Wounded Detective by billiethepoet
- Safer by saki101
- Finally by Meredydd
- Well Met By Moonlight by kedgeree
- Fear is the Enemy by monkiainen
- Inconvenient, Necessary by brighteyed_jill
- Anytime by SilentAuror
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 53 by serpentynka
- Bedtime Stoies by unovis
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 52 by serpentynka
- In Pursuit of a Cleaner Kitchen by wendymarlowe
- Against the Rest of the World by SilentAuror
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 51 by serpentynka
- Mixed Messages by OpalJade
- The Dead Letters by cwb
- Is This About the Dead Polar Bear by cwb
- You're Like the Black Hole of Love by cwb
- Is That What Boyfriends Do? by cwb
- Wait. What Romantic Relationship by cwb
- The Very Unlikely Exitense of a Fightless Bird in a Tuxedo by cwb
- Not Today Nor Yet Tomorrow by cwb
- Little Wee by cwb
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 50 by serpentynka
- Oasis by mydwynter
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 49 by serpentynka
- Story Time - A Study in Fan Fiction by Fraeulein_IreneAdler
- Where Else Would I Be by cwb
- When Harry Met Sally by destinationtoast
- May Your Hert Purr Like a Bumblebee by destinationtoast
- Where Else Would I Be by cwb
- A House Divided Against Itself by destinationtoast
- Not Against the Rules by destinationtoast
- They're All That's Left You by destinationtoast
- Boundless by destinationtoast
- Prelude to Hen Night by destinationtoast
- Saying Yes by destinationtoast
- The Sound of Settling by destinationtoast
- Disregard the Danger by destinationtoast
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 48 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 47 by serpentynka
- The Outcast HIghlander by R.L. Syme
- Undercover Heat by Lavender Daye
- As a Matter of Fact by OpalJade
- M for Marriage by RonaSargent
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 46 by serpentynka
- The Bigger Picture by msgeneivieve