For more information about my proof reading services, click here.
2015 Reading Challenge
I've pledged to read 26 books via the official Goodreads challenge. The rest of my 3 million words will more than likely come via proofreading jobs and fan fiction. Everything will be listed on the other side of the blog and you can view the details and numbers here.
- ▼ July (13)
- ► 2014 (150)
- ► 2013 (154)
- ► 2012 (175)
- ► 2011 (119)
- ► 2010 (90)
- ► 2009 (64)
- ► 2008 (116)
- 2015 (85)
- 2014 (150)
- 2013 (154)
- 2012 (175)
- 2011 (119)
- 2010 (90)
- 2009 (64)
- 2008 (116)
- 2007 (32)
You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "
Monday, July 27, 2015
7:42 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
Not much going on around here or over the weekend. I did the minimum laundry and grocery shopping, but otherwise lolled around, reading, cross stitching and watching TV with DH. It wasn't a bad weekend, but it wasn't overly exciting and passed far too quickly. :)
How was your weekend?
Friday, July 24, 2015
8:27 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
This week went by fast. I don't know why or how, but it did (looking back on it).
Not that I'm complaining, of course, because, well--THE WEEKEND.
And not that I have any major plans, but, well--THE WEEKEND!
And to celebrate Friday and, well--THE WEEKEND, here are some good looking men.
Benedict Cumberbatch with his dad Timothy Carlton at Wimbledon this year.
Mark Gatiss looking exceptionally Bond-ish in a recent video discussing/celebrating 007.
Have a great weekend!
Wednesday, July 22, 2015
8:50 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
Now that all the excitement that May, June and July bring to my life, it's time to get back on the weight loss wagon. I still have my goal of reaching 120lbs., but with all the eating I've done in the past two and a half months, I've gained back about 8lbs. and it's time to lose those eight and then some.
So starting this past Monday, I got back on the treadmill and started counting those calories again. It's been a rough few days because my body's gotten used to less exercise and more calories, so it's griping quite a lot. My goal was to get four days of walking in, but I do listen to my body, and while I pushed through today, I think I'll have to skip tomorrow. My right leg needs a break.
I've also gotten back to my snatches of calisthenics. Whenever I use the rest room, I do a few little things to help stretch out the muscles that I don't use much since I sit on my behind most of the day. I can already feel the difference as I'm much less achy overall than I was just a few short days ago.
Also, more water. I've cut back on the (decaf) tea again and am trying to get back to more water. My body definitely lets me know when I haven't drunk enough.
Here's to weight loss (again)!
Monday, July 20, 2015
5:27 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
About a month ago, I discovered a vinca growing up the cracks of my patio. It was a pleasant surprise amidst the weeds. While I didn't want things growing out of my patio, I didn't want to just rip it out and toss it in the lawn bag.
So I grabbed an empty flower container and I replanted it along with several of the other vinca sprouts I found. It was touch and go for a few days as they adjusted to their new home, but they finally decided it was okay and I have been enjoying their precious blooms every day since!
Hope you had a wonderful weekend!
Friday, July 17, 2015
6:07 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
Aside from traveling within the United States, which I have done (Nebraska for my sister's wedding/Chicago to see Sonshine) and will be doing (Nebraska to see my newest little nephew/Seattle for a Sherlock con/Atlanta for 221B Con), I am planning to travel outside the borders of the US!
We are planning our first vacation in many many years (other than seeing family) and DH wants to go on a cruise. I've never been on one, but it sounds like a grand time, although my first vote was for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. :) DH has no desire to go there, so the cruise it is.
(Image from WIKIPEDIA)
But imagine days and days of sunshine, reading (lots and lots and lots of reading), and being on the water--well sorta. Also, apparently there also all kinds of amenities like theaters and whatnot to do. So it's something I can definitely get behind.
But first--I need a passport in order to get back into the country, so I've been working on that....
Have a great weekend!
Wednesday, July 15, 2015
6:27 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
Sometime this past spring, I signed up to write a fic for a fest. The deadline is thirteen days away....
It's almost complete, so it's not that I can't or won't finish. I just have so many other things I want to do floating around in my brain and part of me wishes I hadn't signed up for it to begin with, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I've participated in other exchanges and fests and I always enjoy them, even though I always feel this way when the deadlines are looming.
So I will spend some time every day finishing up and get it submitted by the deadline and then I'll work on the stuff that's really calling me.
Monday, July 13, 2015
8:56 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
I'm a bit late on the uptake again, but I was barely on the PC at all this weekend, so the blog was not on my mind at all.
We hired some lawn care folks to come take care of our jungle...as I mentioned, DH was gone and the lawnmower broke. With all the moisture, it grew out of control rather quickly, though I don't think the guys really realized what they were in for. It took them almost 3.5 hours to do front, sides, and back--most of that was spent on the back yard.
But it's done now and it looks 100% better. I spent some time Sunday morning trimming away growth from along the fences and other random areas, as well as clearing out my bird feeder bed which has been terribly neglected of late and was looking rather pathetic.
Aside from that, I watched a lot of TV with hubster, but spent some time enjoying the sunshine with the dog.
Hope you had a lovely weekend!
Wednesday, July 8, 2015
5:16 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
So the second quarter of the year has come and gone and it's time once again to report on how I'm doing toward my goals...
Remember, they're listed on the left there. Let's take them one by one...
1) do more crafts -- check -- I finished the last two cross stitched Christmas ornaments
I do admit that only because I wanted to start on a new cross stitch project and couldn't justify it without finishing these.
I also did a little fan girl project... the door to 221B Baker Street in miniature. I made one for myself and one for my fellow Benedict Cumberbatch fan girl Janie Crouch.
2) self-publish a book -- in progress actually -- The first very rough draft is finished and waiting for serious revisions. I lack certain skills and have taking class after class trying to hone them. Not making much progress and so I will have to just knuckle down and trust whatever writing skills/instincts I have to pull it off. But it's scary.
3) research degree programs -- haven't thought about this one in a few months, to be honest... I was busy writing the book and then fireworks season happened, so...
4) work on the yards -- between a rainy spring and fireworks season and laziness, I haven't done much. Then the mower broke and so I have a jungle. I think we're going to take a bit of the funds we made from fireworks and pay someone to clean it up nice. Then we can maintain. After we fix the mower and buy a new weed whacker.
5) ramp up the proofreading -- I did great for the first half of the year, not doing so great at the moment. I need to put out a few more feelers out into the universe.
6) clean up/clean out the house -- not much going on there. I was super lazy while DH was away selling fireworks. But I'm ready to get back on the housekeeping wagon.
7) get healthy and well -- haven't invested much time and effort into this lately either, but I can definitely feel the difference. Now that DH is home, life can back to normal in all ways.
8) write 2500 words a week -- that'd be 65,000 words by now and I don't have it. My book is at 30K and the fics I've written equal approximately 18.5K, so that's only 48Kish all total...
9) read 3 million words -- yeah, covered that by February. I'm just over 8 million right now...
10) reach the 120lb. mark -- not doing so hot there -- gained 10 pounds over the last two months, so obviously my eating and exercise habits also need to get back on track
And there you have it... doing good on some, not so good on others. But it's been helpful to review and see what's what so that I can make the proper adjustments.
How about you? How are you doing on your goals for the year?
- Jen FitzGerald
- Thanks for stopping by one of my little corners of the world wide web. So, a little about me...My husband and I have been married for twenty years and we have three adult children although our youngest is still in high school. We've lived in Texas for fifteen years and for the rest of the story, click here.
Jen's Glossary of Terms
Read in July 2015
- All of This Can Be Broken by Indybaggins
- No Worls for the Penitent by AnInconvenientRuth
- Vessels Sailing Prosperously by AnInconvenientRuth
- Launch Yourself on Every Wave by AnInconvenientRuth
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 80 by serpentynka
- Principals of Morality series by nishizono
- Poster Boys by peevee
- Disregard the Danger by DestinationToast
- The Right Question by violet_tinted_pencil
- Things Unheard, Things Unsaid by jamlockk
- Maybe This Christmas by feverishsea
- Engaged by lifeonmars
- Damage by lifeonmars
- In My Heart Tonight by mazarin221b
- Across the Sky by mazarin221b
- In the Space Between Our Clothes by kingaofthewoods
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 79 by serpentynka
- Loyal in Adversity by JayEz
- Nature and Nurture by earlgreytea68
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 78 by serpentynka
- Bunting by bobross
- The Importance of a Second Serve by jupiter_ash
- A Study in Doubles by jupiter_ash
- The Great Git by jupiter_ash
- Where I Cannot Find You by withoutawish
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 77 by serpentynka
- A Study in Winning by jupiter_ash
- The Godfather by dietplainlite
- Love Outside the Box by mylittlecornerofsherlock
- Round by songlin
- Whatever Remains, However Improbable by ivyblossom
- Scars by SilentAuror
- Dirty Liaisons by saziikins
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 76 by serpentynka
- Not Nice by Mildredandbobbin
- Like a Snake Shedding its Skin by longhornletters
- All the Pieces Falling Into Place by 221b_careful_what_you_wish_for
- Nine Lives of the Human Heart by 221b_careful_what_you_wish_for
- The Still and Lucky Miles by lbmisscharlie
- Out of Lullabies by lbmisscharlie
- A Child's Christmas in Baker Street by lbmisscharlie
- Fill Our Mouths With Cinnamon Now - deleted scenes by lbmisscharlie
- Fill Our Mouths With Cinnamon Now by lbmisscharlie
- Luminosity by what_alchemy
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 75 by serpentynka
- Want by SilentAuror
- Blind Spot by SilentAuror
- Longer Than the Road that Stretches Out Ahead by sunken_standard
- A Study in Reflexology by keelywolf
- Alone on the Water by Mad_Lori
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 74 by serpentynka
- Betwixt and Between by ivywatcher
- Dirty Politics by saziikins
- Lab Book by copperbadge
- Swoon by cathedral_carver
- The Making Of by EmmaGrant
- Saccharomyces Cerevisiae by yaycoffee
- Opposition Party by mydwynter
- Vena Cava by SilentAuror
- The Devil's Workshop by Bashful Bunny
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 73 by serpentynka
- Horse and Carriage series by flawedamythyst
- Intellectual Intercourse series by waketosleep
- Consolation by Mildredandbobbin
- The Important Bit by Solshine
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 72 by serpentynka
- Want by SilentAuror
- Wherein There Is a Case... by parsnips
- Come Aboard by corpsereviver2
- Give Me the Keys by Mazarin221b
- The Things You Can't Outwit by Speranza
- Seaside Villa by 221b_careful_what_you_wish_for
- Princess of the Pond by ShinySherlock
- Up or Artistic Lush by Speranza
- Orangina by EmmaGrant
Read in June 2015
- Northwest Passage by Kryptaria
- All You Need is Rum by EventHorizon
- Paperwork by EmmaGrant
- Modesty Has Never Been One of Mr Holmes' Requirements by dogandmonkeyshow
- The Breath That Passed From You to Me by rsadelle
- FAQ by ancientreader
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 71 by serpentynka
- The Blog of Eugenia Watson by Mad_Lori
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 70 by serpentynka
- That Try Men's Souls by EventHorizon
- The Snow King by EventHorizon
- Fingers Might Talk by EventHorizon
- Sunshine On My Shoulders by EventHorizon
- Saturday Matinee by EventHorizon
- Worth a Thousand Words by EventHorizon
- Enemy Mine by EventHorizon
- Tabula Rasa by EventHorizon
- A Man Can't Have Any Peace by EventHorizon
- The Most Wonderful Time of the Year by EventHorizon
- The Christmas Spirit by EventHorizon
- The Eye of the Beholder by EventHorizon
- It's Not Always Wine and Roses by EventHorizon
- The Adventure of the Devil's Foot by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax by Arthur Conan Doyle
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 69 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 68 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 67 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 66 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 65 by serpentynka
- Just a Kiss by EmmaGrant
- Kind of Blue by EmmaGrant
- Orange by EmmaGrant
- Sheets by EmmaGrant
- The Adventure of the Dying Detective by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Adventure of the Red Circle by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge by Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Making Of by EmmaGrant
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 64 by serpentynka
- En Passant by unknown
- The Bruce Partington Plans by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Downpour by keelywolf
- Fair Play to the Queen by keelywolf
- Dreaming in Lucidity by keelywolf
- Sleep When I'm Dead by keelywolf
- This Endless Distraction by keelywolf
- Unforgiven by keelywolf
- Bedside Manner by keelywolf
- The Arsenal Offside Trap by keelywolf
- Lyrical Debauchery by keelywolf
- This Rebellious Nature by keelywolf
- Same Old Skies of Gray by imachar
- I've Been Chasing Grace by imachar
- In Practice by graywash
- Sherlock Meta by loudestsubtextintelevision
- As You Consume the Longitudes by coloredink
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 63 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 62 by serpentynka
- The British Government Only Asks Twice by azriona
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 61 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 60 by serpentynka
- Vanilla by azriona
- How to Court Your Blogger by PipMer
- Power Play by azriona