Wednesday, September 13, 2017

The Night Shift


So I learned about this neat little setting on my iPhone. I've seen it pop up occasionally and didn't know what it was for and dismissed it, but I have learned what it does and it seems like a really good thing.

In the Display and Brightness setting on an iPhone, you can turn on the Night Shift and set it to come on and turn off at whatever time you want. I set mine to turn on early--6pm--because I read every night (yes, on my phone) before I go to bed.

But what does it do, Jen? Well, if you know, then skip this part, but if you don't, it does this: it swaps out the harsh blue lights emitted by the phone screen and offers up soft amber light instead. Blue light is apparently a "day-time" indicator to our brain and may hinder your ability to fall asleep and/or sleep well.

Honestly, I don't generally have trouble falling asleep. Or...maybe I do, but not for that reason. I don't think. When it's time for bed (8:30ish), I put the phone down and get comfy. With the help of an earbud and Benedict Cumberbatch reading in my ear, I'm asleep within five or ten minutes.

I originally started with listening to something to help me fall asleep because I suffered with tinnitus for awhile and it was very annoying. That went away, but often there's other noise in the house--we have no carpet to absorb it and it filters right down the hall and into my bedroom--so I try to block it out.

Anyway, I'm wondering how much better I'll sleep if I get rid of the blue lights before bed...

Tonight begins the new setting. I'll let you know if I notice a significant change.

No comments: