Monday, September 12, 2016

I Tried, I Really Really Tried...


This past Saturday morning a storm front blew through while I was on my way to the gym at the ass-crack of dawn. When I got home, the power was out. I worked on the laptop for a little while as it was fully charged, but after a couple of hours the power still wasn't on and I decided to sneak a little nap.

My early Saturday morning work space.


Normally, our power is restored within an hour or two. Once we passed the two hour mark, I had no idea when I'd get it back.

So I thought it would be good to take the forced break from electronics and anything writing related. Give the writing part of my brain a break and focus on something fun or not-writing related.

I did cross stitch for a little while, so that was good because I needed / wanted to make progress on my current project. I couldn't do laundry though, because--no power. :( I couldn't watch soccer, either, because--no power. :( I decided to read, but everything I read is online and with no power there was no wifi for the iPad... I didn't want to do too much on my phone and burn my battery life.

But book three wouldn't leave me alone. It's the one not started that needs to get started soon, but that I'm still brainstorming. So I got out real paper and a pen (WHOA!) and jotted down notes, trying to get a handle on a couple of plot points. Which I finally did. I think.

I finally got desperate enough to get on my laptop that I went to the auto parts and bought a converter thing so I could run the car and charge my laptop and phone back up. :) Which I did.

Then I powered up the laptop and worked on book four, which is this ][ close to being done. It's a short book, but it's a fun one and it's been a blast to write.

The power did come on as my laptop battery began to wane again, so I didn't have to spend anymore time in the car.

I really tried to rest and relax and feed the muse rather than make him work, but he had other ideas. :)



No comments: