Monday, March 23, 2015

Ode to JOY...


Almost five years ago, my sister-in-law made us watch this really quirky, over-the-top, ridiculous TV show one night when we were out visiting. I really had no interest in it what-so-ever, but I watched. And as I did, something in the episode spoke to me and I was hooked.


The show is called Glee and last Friday,  the last two episodes of Glee aired...I cried pretty much throughout the finale.

The show itself was about acceptance--whether black, or Jewish, or gay or whatever you are or aren't--in the Glee club you were accepted.

The show was also about finding your joy through song. I can't sing and I can't play an instrument, but I love music. I forget sometimes, but the show reminded me. And it reminded me of music I had loved as child and as young adult.  It introduced me to songs that I would never have heard otherwise.

In July of 2013, the Glee family and the fandom lost its joy. Cory Monteith, one of the male leads, died of an accidental overdose of a toxic combination of drugs and alcohol. It was a blow to his cast mates, his co-star, Lea Michelle (as Rachel, above) being his girlfriend, the crew, I'm sure, the show, and of course the fans.  As you can imagine, the show was never the same without out Cory's particular brand of magic.


My joy has been missing for a bit. I miss it and I want it back, though I'm at a loss right now as to how to do that. Maybe through music...

For the next few posts, I'm gonna revisit the music from Glee. In the lead up to the finale last week, someone online did a top twenty best songs from the show. They of course got it all wrong. Even most of commenters thought so as well. So I'm going to to my own TOP XX. Not sure how many there are going to be at this point, so bear with me for a few days as we--okay I--revisit my favorite Glee covers...in no particular order, but starting in season one.

Even though the Glee club lost at the big competition, the all agreed they still came away winners because of what they learned...

To thank their teacher Mr. Shuester,  they serenaded him with To Sir, With Love--the title song of the 1967 British film of the same name.


The Glee club's mantra through the whole series, was Don't Stop Believing...here is one of their several Don't Stop Believing covers....


I need to take that to heart!

Have a great week.


No comments: