Friday, March 27, 2015

Not so Elementary, My Dear Watson...


As you know, I'm a huge fan of the BBC's show, Sherlock...



Being the fan girl that I can sometimes be, I thought it might be a good exercise to read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original works to 1) just have the originals under my belt, 2) use the opportunity to read some real books in regards to my goal, and 3) see how the show's creators, Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffatt, have used the originals for their show.

I found a free Kindle version as the original works are now out of copyright and began reading. Unfortunately, I picked one of the longer tales and struggled through about a third of it before giving up.

The I had the bright idea to search for an audio version of it, and I did subsequently find one through Audiovox. Sadly, the narrator, a man from South Carolina, couldn't keep his characters or his accents straight and gave up on that, thinking I needed an audio book read by someone British--even if he didn't do characters.

Audible had several versions and I finally purchased one and began listening...

Of course, I've now listened to what seem to be the two longest of ACD's Sherlock Holmes works and I've got to say this--boring...


Hopefully, the shorter stories will be a little more exciting.

Are you a fan of Sherlock Holmes? Have you read the original works? Are you a fan of any of the subsequent movies, films, or TV shows?


No comments: