Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Christmas Traditions


For the last--oh, I don't know...twenty-six Christmases--I've given my children ornaments. Actually--I don't think it started off that way. In fact, I'm sure it didn't because we had to fill in a few early years for the girls. Okay, so not twenty-six years, although they do both have 1st Christmas ornaments, hand made by Mommy dearest.


My girls, especially my Brown-Eyed Girl for some reason, love this tradition. In the lean (and missing) years we've gone with hand made ornaments. In the more prosperous years, they've been store bought. Hallmark can always be counted for something cute. (Sonshine has an inordinate number of Scooby Doo ornaments...)

I love the tradition as well, although, I'm down to only Sonshine's ornaments and after this year, they'll be packed up separately for him to take. I'm really going to miss the mish mash and memories.

This year, I'm making ornaments again. It's a pretty lean year and I have what I need to craft and create.

So this year, more cross stitched ornaments...

 T for Tim...

I for Isabel, Tim's girlfriend...


They're not done yet. I'll trim them down and then affix some felt or something to the back to hide the stitching. The girls will both get one and I may just make an extra for myself.


What about you?? Do you have a favorite thing to collect at Christmas??




2 comments:

Regina Richards said...

We had so many Christmas decorations until a few years ago when I had them waiting temporarily for transport to the attic and the cabinets in the garage came off the wall and fell on them. Mashed a ton of them beyond saving. In a way it was very freeing. I like having a sleeker Christmas. I used to decorate the front yard, the back yard, and practically every room in the house including the bathrooms. Now I only decorate the main downstairs living area and the front yard. But I still pull out the sentimental stuff. Gotta have those sweet memories of Christmas past. :)

Jen FitzGerald said...

Oh, Regina, that's terrible. But I can see how it would be freeing as well. Taking down the decorations has always been the biggest factor in me putting them up. So we've been minimalists for many years. No tree this year as the one I have is too big and I can't afford to buy a smaller one this year. But lights are in the window and garland is hung over the door jambs!