Friday, March 21, 2014

Backyard Update


It's been quite some time since I've rambled on about my backyard.

Of course, it's been way too cold to even go out there, so it's really no surprise is it?

But since yesterday was the official first day of spring, I thought it might be, if not fun, then interesting to see the pitiful state of my yard at the end of winter...

Without further ado...

The grass itself is in need of a good mow as well as several weed treatments. I'm going to have to research green methods, and I have a writing group mate who is the queen of green around these parts. She organizes a whole three day green event every year!

 This is the Chinese wisteria-- It looks completely dead, I know, but I'm pretty sure the main stem is still alive. I hope it's still alive. I'll have to inspect the neighbor's bush and see if she has anything on hers yet. Though I'll probably have to prune some of the for-sure dead vines.

The one azalea seems to have survived the winter, which included two or three freezes. I'm amazed. I really am.

My random tree treatment is a bit weedy there on the left, but easily cleared out. I want to get some sort of edging to put around the mulch/rock placement to keep the mulch contained and hopefully the weeds out. The squirrels really loved the mulch pit. I caught them napping and digging and enjoying it on several occasions.

Stevie from last September!


The flowerbed is over run with dead leaves and obviously needs a good cleaning out. I can only see the Sweet William. I'm not sure the status of everything else.

Remember my large frozen bush?


This is all that remains...

The brush pile there on the right is a lot bigger now, though. And there's a dump run in my very near future.

And last but not least and the most exciting--my trees are leaving!

I can't remember the name of the above tree...

 Above and below is my oak...

And the one that dropped the pokey balls is dead. No more pokey balls.



So there you have it...and I have my work cut out for me. But I'm looking forward to spending time outside, enjoying the warmer weather and my backyard despite it's sorry condition.



3 comments:

Regina Richards said...

My husband's the lawn work enthusiast in our relationship. And this spring, in recognition of all his hard work, I bought him a hammock. He loves it!

Anonymous said...

And guess what ... It's almost time to put out hummingbird feeders! Yippy!

Nancy

Jen FitzGerald said...

A hammock sounds delightful, Regina.

Nancy, I haven't tried the hummingbirds. Just the regular birds and I've fed them all year.