Monday, February 3, 2014

Wow...


Well, on Friday night, I finally finished watching the last few episodes of China Beach.

What a ride!

When it first aired back in the very late '80s and early '90s, my ability to watch was hit or miss. My Brown Eyed Girl was a baby and I was busy with her. In fact, I finally realized I probably only caught an episode here and there from season two. But the few episodes I saw--and I do mean few. I only ever remembered the characters and a few scenes--left a huge impression on me all these years.

Just in case you have no clue, China Beach is TV show set at an evacuation hospital during the Vietnam War. The title refers to My Khe Beach in the city of Đà Nẵng, Vietnam, which was nicknamed "China Beach" in English by American and Australian soldiers during the Vietnam War.

So watching the whole series from start to finish was a very emotional experience, especially the last season as they fast forwarded to lives of the characters once they returned from Vietnam and gave us a glimpse of the issues they faced due to their service in Vietnam. The show was nominated for and won numerous awards.

I'm ready to start all over again. And I probably will... Life is gonna be crazy hectic for the next month. Rewatching will probably be my decompression method.

Anyone watch this show and love it as much as I did/do??


2 comments:

Regina Richards said...

I pretty much missed all TV in the 80's. I worked nights, slept until or babysat my nephew until 2 pm and then hit the gym and the social scene until I had to be back at work.

In the 90's the only TV I saw was Barney, cartoons, and other kid friendly stuff.

So I'm mostly TV illiterate for those two decades.

Jen FitzGerald said...

Barney, for the win!!! Regina. We watched A LOT of Barney at our house too.