Friday, November 15, 2013

Movie Madness


I haven't taken time to sit and watch (much) TV or movies of late. There was just a lot going on and always something that needed my attention. But this past Tuesday I just wanted to watch something--to fill my creative well with someone else's imagination.

We ended up watching The Lorax movie. Mostly because it was the shorter of the two options we were debating.


The Lorax is the tale of a creature, the Lorax, who speaks for the trees since they have no tongue. A stranger come to a beautiful valley full of truffula trees and begins chopping them down to create a Thneed--a multipurpose item that everyone needs.The factory stats spewing wast into the valley and eventually the indigenous creatures have to leave and then of course, eventually, all the trees are cut down and gone.

I did not enjoy this movie at all. It took what was, to me, a fun easy tale--all ecological fable-istic relevance aside--and turned it into some crazy stupid corny hokey animated musical. In order to make it long enough for a movie they also had to add a sub-plot, which was fine, but the rest--just dumb dumb dumb. I give the 2011 movie a one on the movie reel scale.

I remember the TV special from my childhood with much fondness. Wouldn't it be nice if they'd just started re-airing that annually instead???



Do you remember the original Lorax tale, either book or TV special?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haven't seen either the original or the re-make, and now I don't think I'll be watching the re-make. Thanks for the review!