Friday, March 15, 2013

Fort Worth Friday


Fort Worth has many nicknames: Cowtown, Funkytown, the Metroplex (shared with Dallas), Queen City of the Prairie, the city Where the West Begins, and...

Panther City!

Seems a little odd, considering, but the story goes that back in the late 1870s, a Dallas lawyer had been in Fort Worth and claimed things were so quiet in town that a panther lay sleeping in the street.

There are a couple of statues in downtown, several district high schools have panthers as mascots, and our local Triple A ball club are the Fort Worth Cats--whose mascot also looks suspiciously panther-like.

Here is my picture of one of the two panther statues:

This statue and fountain is located at the corner of Houston and West 9th Street, right next to the Flat Iron Building, which we'll cover some other Friday.

This picture of the other panther statue was taken by Darren Wright and I use it without permission. I was trying to take my own, but my camera battery died but either the charger died or the battery has gone bad. My apologies.

This statue is located across the street from the Tarrant County Courthouse in front of the Tarrant County Tax Assessors office building.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd never heard of Panther City before--shows how much I know! :)