Friday, February 1, 2013

Fort Worth Friday


It's back folks, and I'm super excited. I should start off with some introduction to Fort Worth, but I did that once, and I'm sure we'll cover some more of Fort Worth's origins in later posts when I talk about historical landmarks or events.

Today, however, we're going to hit the ground running with the...



Celebrating it's 117th year this year, the Stock Show and Rodeo comes to town every January. The kids get a day off school and a free ticket to attend. At least in FWISD--my teacher friend said they gave out tickets in her district, but not a day off.

I didn't actually attend the rodeo Sunday morning, we just drove through that area before it got crowded and snapped a few pictures. But I suddenly have an urge to go. Whether or not I will, remains to be seen.

Surprisingly, the event takes place in what we refer to as the Cultural District rather than the Stockyards, which would seem the more likely place. On the other hand, what better place for a stock show and rodeo than the Will Rogers Memorial Center??



Look at the lovely Art Deco architecture.


Across from the front entrance is a bronze statue of Will Rogers.


And along with the animal exhibits...


Is a carnival.


If you're a FW (or surrounding area) resident, do you attend the Stock Show?

The next Fort Worth Friday coming in two weeks!

4 comments:

Regina Richards said...

I've been to Fort Worth many times, but only once to the stock show and then really just mostly to the rodeo.

Lynne Kensington said...

And I thought Kissimmee was the only place to do that! LOL! Tripped us out, moving from the northeast, to discover that the schools in Kissimmee, FL have off for "Rodeo Day" but not for President's Day. It kind of made sense when it was explained to us that the rodeo was the big tourist draw before Disney. Nah, still doesn't make sense to not give President's Day.

Jen FitzGerald said...

Well, hey, Lynne. I was just thinking about you the other day!! Good to "see" you.

I'm not much for the stock part, either, Regina. Much prefer the rodeo.

Unknown said...

I haven't been in years, and I guess I missed it again. There's always next time...