Friday, August 24, 2012

It's that time again...

Back to School!

It seems almost anti-climactic for us since Sonshine has been at school every week since the beginning of July and everyday for the last three weeks for marching band. He's got all AP and Honors classes again as well as Debate class. That'll be interesting. He swears he's going to stay on top of school work and grades this year and I'll be bri rewarding him each six weeks for those good grades.

So last night was the 30th annual Ice Cream Social--parents are invited to come and get a preview of what the kids have been working on for the last two months. As usual, the kids were awesome.

Here they are marching onto the practice field. My kid is the tall white boy with the large instrument case toward the end of the line.



The following video is of the first three movements of their program, Secrets of the Nile. (I think that's title, but no guarantees.) Sonshine has a short solo in there and you'll see him rush to the front and then scurry back into position.



With the advent of school, we begin fundraising again...so tomorrow, Sonshine and I will be working Cowboys Stadium. If you watch the game on TV, think of us!

And that all I have for today. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Kay said...

First of all, you should know that I am a huge, HUGE band geek. Secondly, wow, that's a small band! Ours isn't much bigger these days, but it used to be. I miss being in band - I adored it when I was in school. I despised marching band with the fire of a thousand suns at the time, but now I miss it with almost the same passion, so it makes me sad to see how small our program has become. They've had a very hard time keeping an instructor there the last ten years, which makes it difficult to build up a program, but it still makes me sad. I managed to talk my husband into going to a football game a couple years ago and all told, I think there were 20 people on the field, including the band, the color guard, the drum major, and the band instructor. They marched on in a block, stopped at center field, played, and marched off. They had no routine and you couldn't hear them over the crowd in the stands. It was depressing.

Your son's band looked good out there! I'm sorely tempted to email this post to my school'd band director and say, "Hey, if they can do an awesome routine, why can't you?" :)

Have a great weekend!

Jen FitzGerald said...

LOL, Kary!!

Thanks for watching the vid. Our band director has been there for 18 years and is retiring after this one.