Thursday, January 12, 2012

I'm sick... Apple sucks... And very GOOD NEWS

It doesn't happen often, thank goodness, and so far (knock wood) it's not too terribly bad. Hubby and DD have both had it and are still on the tail end of it, and Sonshine hasn't seemed affected.

The Canadian cold front hit overnight and we have wind-chills in the teens right now, but that should all blow over by the weekend. :)

I'm trying to get back on the writing track, but it's difficult when you're fighting the sickies and all you want to do is sleep. But sleep wins every time. I've learned that healthy me is better.

I've gotten caught up on a lot of work--reconciling business bank accounts, paying a few bills, creating invoices, etc...that feels good. (And if I get sick enough to have to take time off, I won't feel antsy about it.)

Okay, so my eyes have been opened--Apple sucks. I love the concept of iTunes and iPods and iPads. (I don't have an iPhone, don't want one, either.) But Apple has crossed the line for me and I will never love them again. What happened, you ask??

It could have been so much worse, so on the surface, it's nothing more than a hassle. BUT for many people it's been a disaster and Apple is to blame.

After trying to update several apps on my iPad several times, I was told (by the iPad) it needed its operating system upgraded. I'm not savvy and put it off for a few weeks and asked hubby about it. So, yesterday, I brought my iPad to the office and the updating commenced.

Long story short: I lost everything on my iPad: apps, books, movies, TV shows. The process did not work like it should have, and the backup was corrupted.

Okay, so my movies and TV shows are no big deal--the master copies are on both my desktop & external hard drive, still safe in my iTunes library. My books can be re-downloaded from Kindle/amazon.com. My apps can also be re-downloaded--the ones I use anyway.

It's a BIG hassle, and a pain in the arse, but ultimately easily fixable. I don't use my iPad for much except checking e-mail and watching TV shows and movies and reading, so I have no crucial data stored on it. For those who did...gone, *poof*.

However, I can also no longer join networks and access the Internet. Something in the upgrade screwed up something in my device. If downgrading back to the previous operating system doesn't resolve the issue, I will have to schlep to an Apple store to have them solve a problem that shouldn't have even been in issue in the first place. Are they going to pay me for my time and gas??

And the GOOD NEWS???

My sweet and wonderful critique partner sold her first book!!!

(I'm not saying her name 'cause I'm not sure what pseudonym she's using.)

But, needless to say, I am thrilled for her and we'll definitely be celebrating next time I see her.

2 comments:

C. A. Szarek said...

I have an iphone and I love it. When I upgraded to OS5 (which I think you're talking about) I freaked cuz I thought I lost everyting, too. I didn't, but my boss did when she did hers, so I feel ya. SUX! SUX!

Oh, and she's my CP, too. SOOOOOO CONGRATS She-who-shall-remain-nameless-until-we-know-more!!!!!!!!

Hehehe.

mtnchild said...

In one way it's nice to be poor - I don't have any of those gadgets ... LOL I doubt I would have them anyway, but I'm sure it is supposed to be nice for those that do.

Get better girl ... I'm sneezing and snuffling too - hope it doesn't get any worse.

Still very cold here, but no snow so to speak of.
Love you
Mom