Monday, September 21, 2009

When I grow up, I want to be...

Certainly not what I am now. I had dreams of being a teacher, but those plans went awry with the advent of my first baby.

Since then, I have never really picked up a new dream. I've toyed with different ideas, but never pursued any of them due to various reasons, mostly financial in nature.

Mostly I enjoy being a homemaker, although that is not my primary day job right now. Several years ago, I discovered a joy in writing, and have been able to achieve a certain proficiency at it. I joined the world's largest writing organization to learn my craft and meet some people. These people are my soul sisters and brothers (yes, there are a few men).

The organization is for those pursuing publication, learning the ins and outs of the industry, learning the business side of things, networking, learning the craft, honing your skills, etc....

I love the knowledge that I've gained, the steps and elements I can identify in books other works that cross-over from writing, and glad I've grown some as a person and leader. I cherish the friendships I've made.

But as I've slaved over manuscripts these last several months to a year, I've learned some things about myself and writing. And I've had to ask myself, is the pursuit of a publishing contact my dream? No, not really. Sure, I'd like to see my name on a book cover, but it's not the be-all end-all goal of my life. It's not my passion.

So the question is: what is my passion?

Let me get back to you.

3 comments:

mtnchild said...

You use to love to sew. Has that left too? Crochet? Drawing?

I'm trying to help you!! LOL

I know you don't follow any of my interests. I guess I can't say I'm passionate about my crafting, but it sure makes me feel wonderful when I complete a project.

I hope you find yours.

Love,
Mom

mtnchild said...

Oops - forgot to mention maybe Children's books. The up-to 6-7 year olds.

L.A. Mitchell said...

So glad you pursued writing so we could meet and work together on several projects ;)