Friday, May 31, 2019

Well, I've gone and done it again...


I've been a member of my writers group since February of 2005. Fourteen years! Who'd-a-thunk??

In those fourteen years, I've served the chapter in one way or another except for maybe three?? of those years. I've served in just about every capacity there is to serve, except for Programs Director. I'd been asked to run for that position for this next year, and I'd agreed. But then stuff happened and the woman who'd been voted in as President Elect to serve as President come September 1 had to withdraw.

So guess who got asked to step in a serve as President? Yep, yours truly. This'll be my 4th stint as head honcho and I'm fine with it. I'm not dreading it. Quite the opposite, I'm looking forward to it for several reasons that I won't bore you with.

In the weeks leading up to the election of next year's board in late July/early August, I've got to recruit people to serve in the various positions. That's by far the hardest challenge of the position--getting chapter members to join the party.

Many refuse to serve, period. Some get turned off after the experience. New members don't qualify until they've been a member for a year. Then the same people cycle through positions until we can lure in some fresh blood. Sometimes a certain position (Treasurer) can be daunting. Sometimes it's a job outside of most members' skill set (website updating) even though neither job is actually all that difficult with a little hand holding and training.

I'm prepared to do a lot of hand holding if I can just a get a body to agree.

Anyway, wish me luck.

And, as always, have a great weekend.

DD, her BFF, and I are off to meet Dallas Stars new Head Coach Jim Montgomery tomorrow. Pics Monday!

Have a great day and great weekend.



No comments: