Friday, December 15, 2017

Christmas Traditions, Part II


Wednesday, I mentioned the ornament tradition that's still alive and kicking.There are a few traditions, I'd like to get back to.

While I enjoy the concept of the Advent Calendar, I'm already seven days into the month and I'm going to be gone for a few more days, so I'll have to pass this year. I'll plan better next year.


(The current Christmas tree...easy to put up, easy to take down.)

The one thing I've been really lax about is the Christmas tree. I love having a tree up. I love the ornaments, I especially love the lights, but because of fireworks and the fact that we celebrate at my mother-in-law's house, I've gotten really lazy about breaking out the tree. The other reason is because our fake tree is decrepit (if we still have it) and I really don't want to cough up a hundred bucks or more for a new one. On the other hand, I grew up with "real" trees and the scent of pine in the house, and I would really like to do that again too. But, again, not this year... I need to assess the ornament situation. I want to do a themed tree, so that will require purchasing new ornaments and lights...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Christmas lights. I want them all over the house and on the outside of the house, but the thought of all that effort is a bit daunting. Worse is having to take them all down again. I know, I know--I'm really lazy. I'll put some lights up this year for sure, because lights are one thing I don't go without this time of year.

I got a video the other day from sister-in-law who had her Angel Chimes out. After live Christmas trees, having the Angel Chimes is the tradition I remember the most. Last year, I bought my mother-in-law and sisters-in-law Angel Chimes and extra candles with the hopes of sharing the love. I need to find mine.



And the final tradition I'd like to bring back is the Redneck Gingerbread House. I miss seeing old GI Snow. Unfortunately, it's not as fun putting it all together without helpers, but this one really tickles me.


Are there any traditions you miss?


No comments: