Wednesday, April 5, 2017

It's amazing the things you learn...


Okay, so this isn't a deep and heavy thing. :)

For the last couple of years I've been invested in and reading heavily in a particular fandom. For the sake of this discussion, the fandom itself doesn't matter.

At some point, I came across a term I'd never heard before, but based on context knew exactly what it was. I looked it up just to be sure and went on my merry reading way.

And then a few Friday's ago as I was writing, I researched hats because I was looking for something specific and found it, but while I was doing so, I realized why I had never heard that original word word before.

Are you wondering about that word?? :0) It's "snapback." Also known as a trucker hat. Basically a type of ball cap that usually has mesh sides and whose size can be adjusted by two plastic straps that snap together at the back.

Snapback:



This hat website I was reading listed baseball caps and snapbacks separately because authentic baseball caps are made to size specifications and "typically worn by the MLB."  And that's when it hit me why I'd never heard snapback before--because I watched baseball growing up and in no other sport that I can think of or watch do they wear hats during play. Helmets yes (NHL, NFL, NASCAR), hats...no.

Ballcap:


It's not that I'd never seen a snapback before. My momma wore them all the time, other people I know wear them. I just didn't realize they had a special term all to themselves.

So yeah, I love that I can learn something new anytime, anywhere!!

How about you? What's the most unusual way you've learned something?

No comments: