Friday, January 8, 2016

The Abominable Bride - the BBC Sherlock special in the theater...



The much anticipated Sherlock special aired New Years Day in the late evening, was shown in theaters around the world on the 5th and 6th, and will be re-aired on PBS Sunday January 10th at 9pm locally. Check your PBS station for time if you're so inclined!

I watched it on New Year's Day, I saw it in the theater this past Tuesday, and I will be re-watching on Sunday. And chances are great that I'll be buying the digital copy through iTunes here in the very near future. Yes, I'm that fan. (Though not as *that fan* as some people I'm acquainted with online.)


The film was a one-off special taking Holmes and Watson back to their Victorian roots. Mostly. It wasn't supposed to have much to do with the contemporary plot lines of the series in general, but...it did. A bit.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie tremendously. While it had a lot of gothic-horror-type elements, it wasn't graphic and it was quite funny. The writers poked a lot of fun at their contemporary version and there was a reason for that.


There were two things I specifically didn't like, although one is attributed to the above-mentioned "reason" and I can accept that, though I don't like it any better. The second thing, while somewhat understandable, I just hate that the writers went there, and I think it was completely unnecessary. But I'm not Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffatt--two of the most prolific, popular, and successful writers for TV in Britain at the moment. So what do I know?

If you are a fan of the show and have seen the special--what did you think??


No comments: