Monday, December 28, 2015

Movie (& TV) Monday


Over the weekend I finished watching the AMC show Mad Men...


It has been hailed as one of the greatest tv shows of all time. I'm not qualified to gauge that. It took place in the decade of my birth, the 60s, and it was quite interesting to see the America of that time portrayed. Granted it was a niche view--from Madison Ave, New York and seen through the eyes of the two main protagonists: Don Draper, a successful advertising executive, and Peggy Olson, secretary cum copy chief.


The over-arching theme of the show throughout its seven seasons was identity. Just about every character struggled with who they were versus who they wanted to be.

The 60s appeared to be part of America's "teenage" years. There were a lot of growing pains.

It's not a show for everyone. There was a lot of drinking and drugs (I know--the 60s) and extra-marital sex. Doctor/patient confidentiality wasn't a thing for wives.

Most of the main characters were unlikable, but they were complex and interesting and compelling. So I kept watching.

I'm not sure what sort of rating to give it...I guess an 8. It was hard to watch, sometimes maddening, sometimes frustrating, but always compelling.

If you've seen it what did you think??


No comments: