Monday, July 14, 2014

(dragging out) Movie Monday!


This past Friday, my kids and I watched The Monuments Men--


The film is loosely based on the book The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel. It's the story about how a group of seven men, most past their fighting prime, stepped into World War II in order to find, save, and preserve the art, both famous and personal, from Hitler and/or destruction. Pieces such as the Madonna and Child by Michelangelo and the Van Eyck altarpiece were but two of the most famous pieces looted by the Germans.

On the whole I found the move touching and the story itself amazing.

I thought the ending lacked enough edge-of-your-seat buildup even though I knew how it was going to end. I wish they'd have upped the tension factor just a bit. But the movie is well worth the time as is the story-- a great reminder of such a terrible black mark in our world history.

One of the characters said, "You can wipe out a generation of people. You can burn their homes to the ground, and somehow they'll still come back. But if you destroy their achievements, and their history, then it's like they never existed."

I completely agree.

Have you seen this movie? What did you think?

1 comment:

Regina Richards said...

Haven't seen it, but you make me want to. :)