Monday, February 10, 2014

Rebooting my life...


I read this book called Rebooting Your Life: A 12-Day Program for Ending Stress, Realizing Your Goals, and Being More Productive by Paul Gibbons. It's a twelve step/day process for strategic planning of your life and getting all the data you keep in your head on paper (to ease the stress of trying not forget anything) and breaking down your projects into tasks based on how long they take and/or the type of task they are (phone calls vs. research, etc). You can get a pre-organized and formatted spread sheet (spread sheet, YAY!) to use for each of the daily exercises.

I saw the book for free on that blog I visit every couple of weeks or so and thought, what the heck...

The whole thing took me a bit longer than twelve days, fifteen or sixteen maybe. Some of the exercises took more than one day and I probably skipped Sundays.

Was it helpful? Well, a little, yes. I put everything down on paper and felt a slight ease. I even remembered a few things that had been relegated to far reaches of my mind. I worked on breaking a couple of projects down to workable tasks. But with so many things out of my control and so many things on my plate, the whole process didn't produce as good results as I had hoped. On one hand, I have a definite list of things to do. On the other hand, I realized how much stuff I have to get done in a short amount of time. Yikes.

But that's okay. I can go back in a few weeks or a month and do it again. Re-think long term goals and aspirations (I haven't forgotten the strategic plan for my writing.). See what I've accomplished in the meantime and move forward.

How often do you re-think and re-envision and re-evaluate your goals? Only at the beginning of the year? Or more often to adjust as things happen and gather more data?


Just thought I'd add the picture for fun...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like to re-evaluate my plans as I reach goals or as circumstances change. Sounds like you're off to a good start!

Jen FitzGerald said...

Thanks, Lara.