Proofreader Services

For more information about my proof reading services, click here.

2017 Goals

  • write to my grandmother every six weeks or so
  • call my moms every month or so
  • cook/eat better
  • clean out and organize my writng/craft room
  • re-institute the cleaning plan
  • publish six books by September 2017
  • reach 120 to 125 pounds
  • walk the dog three times a week

Followers

Blog Archive

Blog Archive

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "
Friday, January 24, 2014

I really hadn't planned to talk about writing yet again...



I had planned to talk about my weight loss and lack thereof or the rest of what's going on in my life, but I had a bit of an AHA moment the other day and so here I am.

I think I've discovered one of the reasons why I haven't finished a book or made much headway towards becoming a published romance author...

I get discouraged too easily and--here's the nasty kicker--I think I've been too lazy to do the hard work to figure out and fix the things that are wrong with my writing.

Yep, I put that out there.


So what am I going to do about it?

Good question. Even though I've taken breaks from writing, I always end up back to piddling with it. Is it because I really want to achieve the goal? Is it because I like the idea of touting myself as an aspiring romance author? Is it because... Well, it could be anything.

The real question is, to quote Tim McGraw: How bad do you want it?



Am I ready and willing and ready and willing and ready and willing to put in the time, do the reading and the research and then the revisions to finish a book, however long it ends up being?

That's a good question. I really want to say yes. But...there's so much going on right now. So much I want to do. Need to do. Have no control over.

But how bad do I want to be published and what am I willing to sacrifice to make it happen one way or another?

The thing is, I want somewhat of a balanced life. I don't want to be a slave to the reading and the research and the revisions either. So I suppose the real decision is not am I ready and willing, but when can I make it happen?

This week, this month? Next? In a couple of months?

I think I need to add a few things to my strategic plan...



4 comments:

Regina Richards said...

Very thought provoking post.

Anonymous said...

Lots to think about here, Jen. It's trying to reach a balance that is so tricky ... and so different for each of us.
Nancy

Lara Lacombe said...

Sounds like you have a lot to think about! :)

Jen FitzGerald said...

Thanks, ladies!

About Me

My Photo
Jen FitzGerald
Thanks for stopping by one of my little corners of the world wide web. So, a little about me...My husband and I have been married for twenty years and we have three adult children although our youngest is still in high school. We've lived in Texas for fifteen years and for the rest of the story, click here.
View my complete profile

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Follow by Email

Jen's Glossary of Terms

  • DH = my husband
  • my Brown Eyed Girl = my oldest daughter
  • DD = my Darling Daughter (the younger one)
  • Sonshine or Marching Band Boy = my son
  • NT = the North Texas chapter of RWA
  • RWA = Romance Writers of America