Friday, January 24, 2014

I really hadn't planned to talk about writing yet again...



I had planned to talk about my weight loss and lack thereof or the rest of what's going on in my life, but I had a bit of an AHA moment the other day and so here I am.

I think I've discovered one of the reasons why I haven't finished a book or made much headway towards becoming a published romance author...

I get discouraged too easily and--here's the nasty kicker--I think I've been too lazy to do the hard work to figure out and fix the things that are wrong with my writing.

Yep, I put that out there.


So what am I going to do about it?

Good question. Even though I've taken breaks from writing, I always end up back to piddling with it. Is it because I really want to achieve the goal? Is it because I like the idea of touting myself as an aspiring romance author? Is it because... Well, it could be anything.

The real question is, to quote Tim McGraw: How bad do you want it?



Am I ready and willing and ready and willing and ready and willing to put in the time, do the reading and the research and then the revisions to finish a book, however long it ends up being?

That's a good question. I really want to say yes. But...there's so much going on right now. So much I want to do. Need to do. Have no control over.

But how bad do I want to be published and what am I willing to sacrifice to make it happen one way or another?

The thing is, I want somewhat of a balanced life. I don't want to be a slave to the reading and the research and the revisions either. So I suppose the real decision is not am I ready and willing, but when can I make it happen?

This week, this month? Next? In a couple of months?

I think I need to add a few things to my strategic plan...



4 comments:

Regina Richards said...

Very thought provoking post.

Anonymous said...

Lots to think about here, Jen. It's trying to reach a balance that is so tricky ... and so different for each of us.
Nancy

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have a lot to think about! :)

Jen FitzGerald said...

Thanks, ladies!