Proofreader Services

For more information about my proof reading services, click here.

2015 Reading Challenge

I've pledged to read 26 books via the official Goodreads challenge. The rest of my 3 million words will more than likely come via proofreading jobs and fan fiction. Everything will be listed on the other side of the blog and you can view the details and numbers here.

2015 Goals

  • do more crafts
  • self-publish a book
  • research degree programs
  • work on the yards
  • ramp up my proofreading business
  • clean up/clean out the house
  • get healthy and well
  • write 2500 words a week
  • read 3 million words
  • reach the 120lb. mark


Blog Archive

Blog Archive

You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "
Monday, August 5, 2013

Yeah, it's Monday...

It's even Movie Monday, but I couldn't bring myself to watch a movie. Just had no desire to do so, so MM is taking a hiatus for however long I feel like it.

But Fort Worth Friday will return. Sonshine and I had our date yesterday morning and he wielded the camera, so who knows how the pics turned out. Kidding! I'm sure they're fine. I'll be sorting them this week and prepping for future posts.

I still have one last day of pics from Nashville, but I'm sorta tired of the topic, so I'll just post the link to the albums once they're up.

I spent a lot of time on research last week. Not for writing purposes, as I've shifted focus, but for life/financial and business purposes. First I decided I needed an accounting software package for my proofreading business so I Googled those. What I found, eventually, was budget software. Which, yes, I need for business, but actually caught my eye for our personal finances. Its philosophy is simple: Every dollar needs a job. It's easy to use once you get how it all works. It's a very short, barely there learning curve. It also offers a 34-day free trial.

So I downloaded the You Need a Budget software. Herein known as YNAB. All the features are available in the trial. It's not an online thing like, though the files are saved into Dropbox and sync with any PCs and devices like smartphones you're gonna use. Very handy!

I added all my data. Figured out how to tweak it to account for all my buckets. That's a term hubby and I use to refer to a specific holding account for something. Like the grocery bucket. All funds designated for food, would be in the grocery bucket. It opened my eyes to how poorly I've managed our money this year. I was--I AM--very disappointed in myself.

I had big plans--as short a time ago as Thursday--for my proofreading earnings. But now I see that aside from the $100 per month I'm putting in a certain credit card bucket (on top of the regular payment plus the payment rolled over from the other CC I just paid off), everything else just needs to go into the main coffer to replenish the money that's been spent here and there on random incidentals over and above the budgeted allowable amount.Yikes!

So back to the drawing board. But now I have my own income that I earn outside of our other business. I feel so much more free and happy and in control of things than I did just a few short months ago. Amazing what a vacation and an attitude adjustment will do for you.

Hope you had a great weekend!!!


Regina Richards said...

Go Jen! The new budgeting software sounds good. :)

Jen FitzGerald said...

Thanks, Regina. You know I'll keep you posted. :)

Lara Lacombe said...

Sounds like you're getting things in order! :)

About Me

My Photo
Jen FitzGerald
Thanks for stopping by one of my little corners of the world wide web. So, a little about me...My husband and I have been married for twenty years and we have three adult children although our youngest is still in high school. We've lived in Texas for fifteen years and for the rest of the story, click here.
View my complete profile

Contact Form


Email *

Message *



Follow by Email

Jen's Glossary of Terms

  • DH = my husband
  • my Brown Eyed Girl = my oldest daughter
  • DD = my Darling Daughter (the younger one)
  • Sonshine or Marching Band Boy = my son
  • NT = the North Texas chapter of RWA
  • RWA = Romance Writers of America

Read in Oct 2015

  • The Frost if All Over by chryse
  • Broken Resolutions by Olivia Dade
  • Wherever Destiny Takes Me by justacookieofacumberbatch
  • Unbranded Air by suitesamba
  • Deductions of a Lesser Mind by SilentAuror
  • Without Words by allonsys_girl
  • The Party of Four by emcee
  • The Full House by emcee
  • The Pirate Highlander by R.L. Syme
  • Song of the Dauntless Knight by antietamfalls
  • Alternate and Missing Scenes from A Cure for Boredom by EmmaGrant
  • A Cure for Boredom by EmmaGrant
  • And Then You Wake by SomeoneElsesDream
  • 26 Pieces by Lanning
  • The Very Best of Times by Moranion
  • The Hollow Verse Series by ScopesMonkey

Read in Sept 2015

  • They're Gonna Be All Right Series by ImpishTubist
  • The Runaway Highlander by R.L. Syme
  • Sherlock: Give Me a Label, I'll Make Confetti by IBegToDreamAndDiffer
  • Patience by EmmaGrant
  • The First Trip by Phyona
  • Favors by Aria_Lerendeair
  • Trigger by wendymarlowe
  • The Temper Between by Phyona
  • The Last Drop by Phyona
  • Seek Out the Unworthy by squire
  • Bury the Bells by unknownsister
  • Of Chocolate Mice and Little Green Men by naughtyspirit
  • Being Unprepared by naughtyspirit
  • My Life as a Fairy Tale by naughtyspirit
  • Sentenced by SarahKnight
  • The Fix by peg22
  • Uphill by scullyseviltwin
  • Working on the Edges by earlgreytea68
  • The(y) Kiss by anarmydoctor
  • A Service in Belgravia by KeelieThompson1
  • One Fixed Point in a Changing Age by KeelieThompson1

Read in Aug 2015

  • Back in the Day by KeelieThompson1
  • A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 90 by serpentynka
  • Silk Road by saki101
  • The Seventeenth Page Affliction by EmmyAngua
  • The Adventure of the Bridegroom's Photograph by spacemutineer
  • Nowhere To Be by allonsys_girl
  • The Alphabet of Sherlock Holmes by SilentAuror
  • A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 89 by serpentynka
  • Silhouettes by allonsys_girl
  • The Rising Tide by allonsys_girl
  • Of Razors, Pipes, Red Notebooks and Rugby Jerseys by allonsys_girl
  • Positive Reinforcement by Mildredandbobbin
  • Of Course I Forgive You by allonsys_girl
  • Dirty Love by saziikins
  • A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 88 by serpentynka
  • Inexplicable by EmmaGrant
  • Eyes Up, Heels Down by Codename Meretricious
  • Tea by wendymarlowe
  • A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 87 by serpentynka
  • A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 86 by serpentynka
  • Dr John H Watson, Sexual Surrogate by smurff
  • Tigers Make Good Pets by tenderly_wicked
  • Just Staying by tenderly_wicked
  • However Improbable by earlybloomingparentheses
  • Help Us to Surive by solrosan
  • Heartbeat in the Brain by Indybaggins
  • Runaway Highlander by R.L. Syme
  • Collateral Damage by SilentAuror
  • A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 85 by serpentynka
  • The Mystery of the Olive Green Chair by allonsys_girl
  • Undressing by unovis
  • What Are You Going to Do About It? by brbsoulnomming
  • Yes and No by emungere
  • Shallow Grave by SilentAuror
  • A Study in Bees by daasgirl
  • A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 84 by serpentynka
  • How I Impregnated Your Mother by Mildredandbobbin
  • Disguise by kaalee
  • Sherlock Never Noticed the Cameras by wendymarlowe
  • The Lucky Few by saziikins
  • Conversdations With Idiots by scullyseviltwin
  • Reason Goes Before a Fall byLorelai_Lee
  • Breakable by MissDavis
  • Sharp Bits and Safe Paths by midgetnazgul
  • A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 83 by serpentynka
  • Boxing Up a Life Together by flawedamethyst
  • Barter System by brbsoulnomming
  • Phoenix by Lono
  • What You Really Want by type_40_consulting_detective
  • I Don't Speak French by Ricechex
  • A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 82 by serpentynka
  • Echoes Through Time by chellefic
  • A Negligible Accident by flawedamythyst
  • A Close Shave by poppyalexander
  • Grip and Release by PetraTodd
  • How to Be Brave by stillaseeker
  • Thrust Vigorously by Dlnnanzor
  • The Boys of Summer by mazarin221b
  • The First and Only Convention of the Scotland Yard Matchmaker Committee by ImpishTubist
  • Paper Hearts by testosterone_tea
  • Slip Out the Back Jack by yaycoffee
  • Smoke by poppyalexander
  • The Scent of Home by PetraTodd
  • Her Boy by saziikins
  • LHT-HNL by scullyseviltwin
  • Blande Barista Seeks Dashing Ballet Dancer: Inquire Within by prettysailorsoldier
  • I Fall Through the Cracks Until You Catch Me by sc010f
  • The Newlywed Game by patternofdefiance
  • Game Night by Random_Nexus
  • Gotta Have It by poppyalexander
  • Blank Canvas, Warm Bed by taylorpotato