Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Busy, busy...


A few months ago, I decided to turn my time and talents to proofreading. I added a static page to this blog (the link is just to the left) outlining my services and rates, and though things were slow to take off, they finally did. I'm not overwhelmed or anything, so that's good.

I talked to my hubby about it and he was supportive. This past week, we had another conversation and he advised me to file for an Assumed Name Certificate, aka a doing business as name, as well as opening a checking account for the business.

...doing business as...

Today, I researched the process and cost of filing my Assumed Name Certificate: fill out a form, take it to a courthouse, and pay $20. Simple enough. Now to get it done.

The other thing I checked out was whether or not I have to collect sales tax. And unfortunately I think I do. It's not difficult. I do it for DH and my business, so I know what and where and how. But it's just something I'd hoped to avoid.

The final consideration is what my assumed name should be. As an unofficial freelancer, I called my little business Put Your Best Work Forward Proof Reading Services, but now that I'm going official and legal, not only is it too long, but it doesn't really encompass everything I do or what I may want to offer in the future. Tell me what you think of:

C.P. Proofreading & More

So far I proofread (the scope of which you can read on the static page), I'm creating a series bible for two different series for another author, as well as updating websites, and my critique partner requested I learn how to format manuscripts for self-pubbers. That was seconded by two other authors. Who knows what else I may add to my repertoire in the future. The C.P. stands for critique partner, as in I'll read like a C.P. and not just a basic proofreader--if you want me to.

So your opinions are requested and welcome. What do you think of the name I came up with? And if you have suggestions, I'd love to hear (read) them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like it! 'Critique partner' gives it a personal feel.

Jen FitzGerald said...

Thanks, Lara.

Lynne Kensington said...

I like it. The initials could stand for a name and as Lara said, the word "partner" makes it personal. I guess there's more to consider than I thought. :D