Monday, May 6, 2013

Spring Cleaning


As most of you know, I've been on a quest to lose some weight. It's been over a year since I started the journey--somewhere around fourteen months officially. I've used the basic method of consuming fewer calories than I expend as well as some exercising. As mentioned a few posts ago, I use the MyFitnessPal app to keep track of both.

I've had my ups and downs as far as sticking to my plan goes, but when all is said and done, I weigh much less than I did when I started.Twenty-three pounds less. I've got another twenty to go, and eventually I'll get there. Meanwhile I'm still struggling along. Off days send me seeking comfort in an excess of carbs or sugar {namely--root beer :)}This weekend, however, my flagging enthusiasm has been renewed...

How you ask?

Well! It all started last Thursday when I went to my friend Angi Morgan's house to see a third friend-we'll call her Jan--who was visiting. The last time I saw Jan was in August when Angi and I traveled to OKC for a writers getaway. One of the first things Jan commented on was my weight. Later, during the course of conversations, we got to talking about clothes and how we were all wearing clothes that didn't fit properly. Of course, weighing twenty-three pounds less means my clothes fit even less properly now.

Fast forward to Saturday and I decided I wanted to wear this pair of capris, which had still been snug last summer despite the weight I'd already lost. Well, guess what? They were way too big. At that point, I got a bee in my bonnet and decided to try on all my bottoms--pants, skirts, dresses, and shorts. Then I went after pajamas and winter clothes.After all was said and done, I have a black trash bag of clothes to donate to the ARC (a Texas charity) and hardly any clothes to wear. I don't want to buy too much new stuff, since I still have some weight to lose.

And with the proof of my progress staring at me from a bulging black trash bag, I feel ready and eager to shed the next few pounds with renewed vigor.
 



5 comments:

Kay Kauffman said...

I did the same thing over the weekend! I found a bunch of things that fit again, so that was rather nice. Of course, I found a lot more that still don't fit well and a whole basket full of things that are going on my garage sale. And that was just the stuff I had on hangers! I hate to think about the rest of it... :)

Regina Richards said...

Huge congratulations, Jen. You do look great!

Unknown said...

That's awesome! Good for you! :)

Jen FitzGerald said...

Thanks, gals! I'm feeling re-energized to keep on keeping on--until the hunger pangs hit. :)

Clover Autrey said...

That is so awesome. I love getting rid of things that no longer fit. Problem is, a few years ago I did that and then gained back the weight and didn't have any "fat clothes" to fit into.

Bleh.