For more information about my proof reading services, click here.
2015 Reading Challenge
I've pledged to read 26 books via the official Goodreads challenge. The rest of my 3 million words will more than likely come via proofreading jobs and fan fiction. Everything will be listed on the other side of the blog and you can view the details and numbers here.
- ► 2015 (114)
- ► 2014 (150)
- ▼ February (11)
- ► 2012 (175)
- ► 2011 (119)
- ► 2010 (90)
- ► 2009 (64)
- ► 2008 (116)
- 2015 (114)
- 2014 (150)
- 2012 (175)
- 2011 (119)
- 2010 (90)
- 2009 (64)
- 2008 (116)
- 2007 (32)
You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "
Friday, February 15, 2013
7:45 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
Welcome to the second edition of Fort Worth Friday.
One of the things I love about Fort Worth is that there's so much history here. The proof is in the wonderful old buildings still prominent throughout the downtown and surrounding area. I really love when these old buildings are given new life.
One such building is the Texas & Pacific Station. Opened in October 1931 to replace the previous building, this building served as railroad terminal and office space with warehouse space just to the west. It was designed in Zigzag Moderne Art Deco styling.
Look at these cool, and I do believe original, doors!
The building was run down and abandoned when we first moved to Fort Worth in 1999. According to Wiki (yes, I know what they say about Wiki), that area of downtown declined when the freeway (I-30) was built in 1958. In 1967, the terminal was closed when passenger train service to Fort Worth ended. After that, HUD was the lone tenant from the 70s to the 90s.
The lobby was returned to its former glory in 1999 and passenger service began again when the Trinity Railway Express extended into Fort Worth.
Much to my surprise and pleasure, renovations began on the building in the early 2000s and in 2006, the first lofts were for sale. A smaller adjacent building was built on the east side of the original. The north view of downtown is spectacular I'm sure. The southern view--I guess if you look past the freeway. According to another site, the warehouse building is also slated for renovations, but the economy has postponed those plans.
This is the addition they built to the left of the original.
It's more modern than the original building, sad to say.
I would have loved to see them duplicate the external architectural design.
I took these pictures of the outside (obviously), but did not attempt to go inside. To see pictures of the lobby, click here. And to look at what they've done with the lofts, click here and here.
I still have more pictures, but another trip with my friends will be discussed this weekend.
Do you live in a city with a rich history, architectural and otherwise??
- Jen FitzGerald
- Thanks for stopping by one of my little corners of the world wide web. So, a little about me...My husband and I have been married for twenty years and we have three adult children although our youngest is still in high school. We've lived in Texas for fifteen years and for the rest of the story, click here.
Jen's Glossary of Terms
Read in Sept 2015
- They're Gonna Be All Right Series by ImpishTubist
- The Runaway Highlander by R.L. Syme
- Sherlock: Give Me a Label, I'll Make Confetti by IBegToDreamAndDiffer
- Patience by EmmaGrant
- The First Trip by Phyona
- Favors by Aria_Lerendeair
- Trigger by wendymarlowe
- The Temper Between by Phyona
- The Last Drop by Phyona
- Seek Out the Unworthy by squire
- Bury the Bells by unknownsister
- Of Chocolate Mice and Little Green Men by naughtyspirit
- Being Unprepared by naughtyspirit
- My Life as a Fairy Tale by naughtyspirit
- Sentenced by SarahKnight
- The Fix by peg22
- Uphill by scullyseviltwin
- Working on the Edges by earlgreytea68
- The(y) Kiss by anarmydoctor
- A Service in Belgravia by KeelieThompson1
- One Fixed Point in a Changing Age by KeelieThompson1
Read in Aug 2015
- Back in the Day by KeelieThompson1
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 90 by serpentynka
- Silk Road by saki101
- The Seventeenth Page Affliction by EmmyAngua
- The Adventure of the Bridegroom's Photograph by spacemutineer
- Nowhere To Be by allonsys_girl
- The Alphabet of Sherlock Holmes by SilentAuror
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 89 by serpentynka
- Silhouettes by allonsys_girl
- The Rising Tide by allonsys_girl
- Of Razors, Pipes, Red Notebooks and Rugby Jerseys by allonsys_girl
- Positive Reinforcement by Mildredandbobbin
- Of Course I Forgive You by allonsys_girl
- Dirty Love by saziikins
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 88 by serpentynka
- Inexplicable by EmmaGrant
- Eyes Up, Heels Down by Codename Meretricious
- Tea by wendymarlowe
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 87 by serpentynka
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 86 by serpentynka
- Dr John H Watson, Sexual Surrogate by smurff
- Tigers Make Good Pets by tenderly_wicked
- Just Staying by tenderly_wicked
- However Improbable by earlybloomingparentheses
- Help Us to Surive by solrosan
- Heartbeat in the Brain by Indybaggins
- Runaway Highlander by R.L. Syme
- Collateral Damage by SilentAuror
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 85 by serpentynka
- The Mystery of the Olive Green Chair by allonsys_girl
- Undressing by unovis
- What Are You Going to Do About It? by brbsoulnomming
- Yes and No by emungere
- Shallow Grave by SilentAuror
- A Study in Bees by daasgirl
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 84 by serpentynka
- How I Impregnated Your Mother by Mildredandbobbin
- Disguise by kaalee
- Sherlock Never Noticed the Cameras by wendymarlowe
- The Lucky Few by saziikins
- Conversdations With Idiots by scullyseviltwin
- Reason Goes Before a Fall byLorelai_Lee
- Breakable by MissDavis
- Sharp Bits and Safe Paths by midgetnazgul
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 83 by serpentynka
- Boxing Up a Life Together by flawedamethyst
- Barter System by brbsoulnomming
- Phoenix by Lono
- What You Really Want by type_40_consulting_detective
- I Don't Speak French by Ricechex
- A Bleeding Heart in Longhand, ch. 82 by serpentynka
- Echoes Through Time by chellefic
- A Negligible Accident by flawedamythyst
- A Close Shave by poppyalexander
- Grip and Release by PetraTodd
- How to Be Brave by stillaseeker
- Thrust Vigorously by Dlnnanzor
- The Boys of Summer by mazarin221b
- The First and Only Convention of the Scotland Yard Matchmaker Committee by ImpishTubist
- Paper Hearts by testosterone_tea
- Slip Out the Back Jack by yaycoffee
- Smoke by poppyalexander
- The Scent of Home by PetraTodd
- Her Boy by saziikins
- LHT-HNL by scullyseviltwin
- Blande Barista Seeks Dashing Ballet Dancer: Inquire Within by prettysailorsoldier
- I Fall Through the Cracks Until You Catch Me by sc010f
- The Newlywed Game by patternofdefiance
- Game Night by Random_Nexus
- Gotta Have It by poppyalexander
- Blank Canvas, Warm Bed by taylorpotato