Proof Reader Services
For more information about my proof reading services, click here.
2013 Reading Challenge
I've taken the Goodreads 2013 Reading Challenge, pledging to read at least 52 books in 2013.
So I've added a list for 2013's books, but decided to leave my previous list of books read. (At least until I transcribe the list to some other list for safekeeping. )
My Blog List
- ▼ February (11)
- ► 2012 (175)
- ► 2011 (119)
- ► 2010 (90)
- ► 2009 (64)
- ► 2008 (116)
- 2013 (72)
- 2012 (175)
- 2011 (119)
- 2010 (90)
- 2009 (64)
- 2008 (116)
- 2007 (32)
You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "
Friday, February 15, 2013
7:45 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
Welcome to the second edition of Fort Worth Friday.
One of the things I love about Fort Worth is that there's so much history here. The proof is in the wonderful old buildings still prominent throughout the downtown and surrounding area. I really love when these old buildings are given new life.
One such building is the Texas & Pacific Station. Opened in October 1931 to replace the previous building, this building served as railroad terminal and office space with warehouse space just to the west. It was designed in Zigzag Moderne Art Deco styling.
Look at these cool, and I do believe original, doors!
The building was run down and abandoned when we first moved to Fort Worth in 1999. According to Wiki (yes, I know what they say about Wiki), that area of downtown declined when the freeway (I-30) was built in 1958. In 1967, the terminal was closed when passenger train service to Fort Worth ended. After that, HUD was the lone tenant from the 70s to the 90s.
The lobby was returned to its former glory in 1999 and passenger service began again when the Trinity Railway Express extended into Fort Worth.
Much to my surprise and pleasure, renovations began on the building in the early 2000s and in 2006, the first lofts were for sale. A smaller adjacent building was built on the east side of the original. The north view of downtown is spectacular I'm sure. The southern view--I guess if you look past the freeway. According to another site, the warehouse building is also slated for renovations, but the economy has postponed those plans.
This is the addition they built to the left of the original.
It's more modern than the original building, sad to say.
I would have loved to see them duplicate the external architectural design.
I took these pictures of the outside (obviously), but did not attempt to go inside. To see pictures of the lobby, click here. And to look at what they've done with the lofts, click here and here.
I still have more pictures, but another trip with my friends will be discussed this weekend.
Do you live in a city with a rich history, architectural and otherwise??
- Jen FitzGerald
Jen's Glossary of Terms
Books read in 2013
- Private Delights by Lavender Daye
- Desired & Defended by Kristi Avalon
- Cowboy in the Crossfire by Robin Perini
- Finding Her Son by Robin Perini
- A Texas Baby by Linda Warren
- Trusting Her by Starla Kaye
- Nurses in Vietnam: The Forgotten Veterans edited/compiled by Dan Freedman and Jacqueline Rhoads
- Station Hospital Saigon: A Navy Nurse in Vietnam 1963-1964 by LCDR Bobbi Hovis, NC, USN (ret.)
- Joyful Momma's Guide to Shopping & Cooking Frugally by Kimberly Eddy
- Home Before Morning: The Story of an Army Nurse in Vietnam by Lynda Van Devanter
- Whistling in the Dark by Tamara Allen
- If it Ain't Love by Tamara Allen
- The Only Gold by Tamara Allen
- Downtime by Tamara Allen
- Off Her Game by Suzan Butler
- Bet on Love by Barbara Witek
- The Hand of Vengeance by Mike Mendoza
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (audio book version) by J.K. Rowling
- Offside by Juliana Stone
- The Memory of You by Laurie Kellogg
- Plotting: A Novelist's Workout Guide by Aaron Allston
- Relentless by Cindy Stark
- Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde
- 100 Ways to Save and Grow Your Money, Financial Fitness for Regular People by Peter Sorrells
- Short Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer
- I Want it Now: A Memoir of Life on the Set of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory by Julie Dawn Cole
- From Dunes to Dior by Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar
- Aggie's Inheritance by Chautona Havig (didn't finish)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
- The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory
- Lion in Babylon by Davis Bunn
Books Read in 2008-2012
- The Good Lawyer by Thomas Benigno
- Completely Restored by Robert Kerr
- True Father by Stephen Anderson Law
- The Last Honest Seamstress by Gina Robinson
- Christmas with the Prince by Michelle Celmer
- Harry Potter fan fiction by various authors
- Montgomery Justice: Behind the Lies by Robin Perini
- Highland Shapeshifter by Clover Autrey
- The Truth About Faking by Leight T. Moore
- Measuring Up by Nyrae Dawn
- Sometimes it Happens by Lauren Barnholdt
- The Sweetheart Tree by Clover Autrey
- Taylor Made Life by Kary Rader
- Firday Night Lights: the Untold History of Television by Kathleen Olmstead
- Boarding the Enterprise by Smart Pop Books
- On One Condition by Diana Alberts
- In the Line of Duty by Donna Alward
- Off the Clock by Donna Alward
- Coming and Going by Casea Major
- The Driver's Seat by Casea Major
- The Nurse's Not-So-Secret Scandal by Wendy S. Marcus
- Shall We Tell the President by Jeffrey Archer
- Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
- Fifty Shades of Alice in Wonderland by Melinda DuChamp
- One Knight in Brooklyn by Casea Major
- On One Condition by Diane Alberts
- Faking Mr. Right by Kerry Connor
- The Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglisi
- Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
- The Unauthorized Glee Companion: Filled With Glee by Smart Pop Books, multiple contributors
- A Friday Night Lights Companion: Love, Loss and Football in Dillon, Texas by Smart Pop Books, multiple contributors
- Robin Hood fan fiction by various authors
- Friday Night Lights: a Town, a Team, and a Dream by H.G. Bissinger
- Family Peace by Kate Wesley
- Table for One by Ros Clarke
- All I Want for Christmas by Ros Clarke
- Kidnapped at the Gun Show by Lavender Daye
- No Dress Required by Cari Quinn
- Stormfront: Seduced by the Neighbors by Kirsten McCurran
- Taken by Selena Kitt
- Dangerous Memories by Angi Morgan
- Training the Receptionist by Juniper Bell
- See Me by Natasha Moore
- La Bonne by Michele de Lully
- Temporary Mistress by Cecily French
- Bermuda Triangle by Sky Robinson
- Midsummer Dreams by Cindy Spencer Pape
- Highland Heat by Sasha White
- Her Secret Millionaire by Cat Shield
- Wild Justice by Liz Fielding
- Eternity Base by Bob Mayer
- Once a Good Girl by Wendy S. Marcus
- Bound by Trust by Lavender Daye
- Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet by Stacia Kane
- Marshal of Hel Dorado by Heather Long
- Twice is Not Enough by Emma Lai
- Southern Seduction by Luna Zega
- Kilt Worthy by Catherine Bybee
- Just Another Day at the Beach by Karen Rossi
- Sea Born by Clover Autrey