For more information about my proof reading services, click here.
2014 Reading Challenge
This year, I'm again pledging to read at least 52 fiction books, though shooting for 60.
I did exceed my 52 book goal from last year.
My Blog List
- ▼ February (11)
- ► 2012 (175)
- ► 2011 (119)
- ► 2010 (90)
- ► 2009 (64)
- ► 2008 (116)
- 2014 (48)
- 2012 (175)
- 2011 (119)
- 2010 (90)
- 2009 (64)
- 2008 (116)
- 2007 (32)
You can replace this text by going to "Layout" and then "Page Elements" section. Edit " About "
Friday, February 15, 2013
7:45 AM | Posted by Jen FitzGerald | | Edit Post
Welcome to the second edition of Fort Worth Friday.
One of the things I love about Fort Worth is that there's so much history here. The proof is in the wonderful old buildings still prominent throughout the downtown and surrounding area. I really love when these old buildings are given new life.
One such building is the Texas & Pacific Station. Opened in October 1931 to replace the previous building, this building served as railroad terminal and office space with warehouse space just to the west. It was designed in Zigzag Moderne Art Deco styling.
Look at these cool, and I do believe original, doors!
The building was run down and abandoned when we first moved to Fort Worth in 1999. According to Wiki (yes, I know what they say about Wiki), that area of downtown declined when the freeway (I-30) was built in 1958. In 1967, the terminal was closed when passenger train service to Fort Worth ended. After that, HUD was the lone tenant from the 70s to the 90s.
The lobby was returned to its former glory in 1999 and passenger service began again when the Trinity Railway Express extended into Fort Worth.
Much to my surprise and pleasure, renovations began on the building in the early 2000s and in 2006, the first lofts were for sale. A smaller adjacent building was built on the east side of the original. The north view of downtown is spectacular I'm sure. The southern view--I guess if you look past the freeway. According to another site, the warehouse building is also slated for renovations, but the economy has postponed those plans.
This is the addition they built to the left of the original.
It's more modern than the original building, sad to say.
I would have loved to see them duplicate the external architectural design.
I took these pictures of the outside (obviously), but did not attempt to go inside. To see pictures of the lobby, click here. And to look at what they've done with the lofts, click here and here.
I still have more pictures, but another trip with my friends will be discussed this weekend.
Do you live in a city with a rich history, architectural and otherwise??
- Jen FitzGerald
- Thanks for stopping by one of my little corners of the world wide web. So, a little about me...My husband and I have been married for twenty years and we have three adult children although our youngest is still in high school. We've lived in Texas for fifteen years and for the rest of the story, click here.
Jen's Glossary of Terms
- lose weight--get down to 120ish pounds (that's 16 lbs.)
- pay off the credit card with proofing money
- create bulb bed/plant bulbs on the side of the house
- work on back yard
- bookshelves in living room
- ramp up proofreading
- publish three more Romance Writer's Guides books
- get my son graduated
- read up on how to make the body work like it's supposed to and help my hubby lose weight and get healthy
- read 64 books, including 12 books on plotting
Books Read in 2014
- The Roles We Play by JoAnna Grace
- Whip Me Up, Tie Me Down by Lavender Daye
- Game of Fear by Robin Perini
- Lost in Temptation by Lauren Royal
- What Wendy Wants by Nikki Sex
- Improper Proposals by Juliana Ross
- Kira's Keeper by Jan Schliesman
- Improper Arrangements by Juliana Ross
- Improper Relations by Juliana Ross
- How to Kick Your Fat in the Nuts by T.C. Hale
- Stop!!! Manifesting Money by D/C Russ
- A Lady in Defiance by Heather Blanton
- Secret Obsession by Robin Perini
- Rebooting Your Life: A 12-Day Program for Ending Stress, Realizing Your Goals, and Being More Productive by Gibbons
- 30 Daily Weight Loss Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle by Joshua Wylie
- Stealing the Preacher by Karen Witemeyer
- Coconut Oil Recipes: Nature's Remedy for Health, Beauty, Weight Loss, Allergies & Detoxing by Scarlett Aphra
Books read in 2013
- Incredibly Delicious Soup Recipes from the Mediterranean by Vasela Tabakova
- Madam President by Jerry Beller (didn't finish)
- Kick Menstrual Cramps in the Nuts by T.C. Hale
- Blurred Lines by Janie Crouch
- Love Me or Leave Me by Kristine Mason
- Wish On a Star by Lauren Holly
- Paradise Valley by Dale Cramer
- Take a Chance, a Private Delights novel by Lavender Daye
- Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally
- Protecting Their Child by Angi Morgan
- Outlaw by Angus Donald (didn't finish)
- The Warrior by Wanda Ann Thomas
- Private Designs by Lavender Daye
- Private Passions by Lavender Daye
- Northern Lights by Nora Roberts
- Pick Me by Kristine Mason
- Kiss Me by Kristine Mason
- Missing by Beverley Bateman
- Bedded By Her Bodyguard by Kristi Avalon
- Playing for Keeps by Jamie Denton
- Dare You To by Katie McGarry
- The Cradle Conspiracy by Robin Perini
- Behind the Lies by Robin Perini
- Ain't Misbehaving by Molly Cannon (audio book)
- Undercover Texas by Robin Perini
- In Her Sights by Robin Perini
- Christmas Conspiracy by Robin Perini
- Hunted by Beverley Bateman
- Private Delights by Lavender Daye
- Desired & Defended by Kristi Avalon
- Cowboy in the Crossfire by Robin Perini
- Finding Her Son by Robin Perini
- Collision Force by C.A. Szarek
- A Texas Baby by Linda Warren
- Highland Moon Sifter by Clover Autrey
- Trusting Her by Starla Kaye
- Nurses in Vietnam: The Forgotten Veterans edited/compiled by Dan Freedman and Jacqueline Rhoads
- Station Hospital Saigon: A Navy Nurse in Vietnam 1963-1964 by LCDR Bobbi Hovis, NC, USN (ret.)
- Joyful Momma's Guide to Shopping & Cooking Frugally by Kimberly Eddy
- Home Before Morning: The Story of an Army Nurse in Vietnam by Lynda Van Devanter
- Whistling in the Dark by Tamara Allen
- If it Ain't Love by Tamara Allen
- The Only Gold by Tamara Allen
- Downtime by Tamara Allen
- Off Her Game by Suzan Butler
- Bet on Love by Barbara Witek
- The Hand of Vengeance by Mike Mendoza
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (audio book version) by J.K. Rowling
- Offside by Juliana Stone
- The Memory of You by Laurie Kellogg
- Plotting: A Novelist's Workout Guide by Aaron Allston
- Relentless by Cindy Stark
- Don't Let Me Go by Catherine Ryan Hyde
- 100 Ways to Save and Grow Your Money, Financial Fitness for Regular People by Peter Sorrells
- Short Straw Bride by Karen Witemeyer
- I Want it Now: A Memoir of Life on the Set of Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory by Julie Dawn Cole
- From Dunes to Dior by Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar
- Aggie's Inheritance by Chautona Havig (didn't finish)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
- The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory