Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year


So it's the last day of 2012, which overall wasn't a bad year. I'm writing to you this morning from the wilds of central Texas where our fireworks store is located. I came down last night to help out if necessary. They probably could have done without me, but that's okay. We broke $10K for the season last night too. DH was pleasantly surprised. The major expenses haven't quite been covered, but today will bring in enough to cover the rest and then some. If we can manage to pay off the guy we bought the place from, then come 4th of July all profits are ours. Finally. After four years. It wasn't supposed to take so long, but governments and economies happen.

But enough of that--last week I said we'd talk about goals for the new year, so...

My goals for the new year include reading more. At least a book a week for a minimum total of 52 books for 2013. I've probably amassed a good chunk of those already from all the free Kindle books I've found over the past couple of weeks, and I'll probably be visiting the library more often as well.

Another major goal is to lose the last 20 to 30 pounds to reach my target weight. After that, it'll be all about toning and converting that flab to muscle. Which, yes, I know will weigh more. But that's okay.

I'd also like to get back to doing crafts. My girls want to learn to sew, and we've already gotten started on our projects. But I'd also like get back to cross-stitching and rubber stamping. And I'd like to do some basic toll painting. Many years ago, I wanted to put together and decorate a doll house. I got one, but we were really too poor for me to do it justice. It's not an inexpensive endeavor. The houses themselves can cost hundreds of dollars. Then you have to put them together, paint them, decorate them. They take time, money, and space.

And there's writing of course--several times in the past half-dozen years I've gone through a bit of a crisis if you will. Do I want to write for publication. Of course, these days, I could bypass all normal channels and self-publish my work, but I know my writing is not quite as ready for the big time as it could be and should be. I love writing, I really do. I love to learn about writing and love working to improve my writing, reading other people's thoughts on various aspects of it and taking classes, but I get what I need from writing from writing fan fiction and from the feedback I get when I post it in fan fiction venues. I also love to beta-read and critique other's work and I've wondered if that's really what I'd rather be doing.

So the goal I guess is to figure out my career path. If I decide to pursue the editorial aspect, I still have much to learn. I may even go back to school and pursue a 2-year degree in English.

One of our financial goals last year was to put some serious money aside and considering our history, we did pretty well. So I guess we'll continue on and try to do better this year by not only putting money aside, but by paying off a debt or two as well.

So those are a few of my major goals.

How about you?? Care to share?

5 comments:

Regina Richards said...

I have more goals I wan to achieve than I can focus on at once. So I must choose what is most important. And making that decision isn't easy.

Jen FitzGerald said...

I know what you mean. Good luck, Regina!

Unknown said...

Great goals--all challenging, but not impossible.

My main goal for 2013 is to write a little bit every day. Here's hoping we achieve our goals! :)

Char Newcomb said...

but I know my writing is not quite as ready for the big time as it could be and should be.

Your writing is MORE than ready for the big time, but breaking into traditional publishing is very difficult. I don't think you should give up on your original works - and do consider self-publication - it's a way to get your stuff out there, to build a base. It's "practice" of sorts. :)

We can keep writing, editing, and revising and never really be good enough (in our own minds). Just write. Put yourself out there. I repeat - you ARE ready for the big time. :)

Jen FitzGerald said...

Good luck, Lara!!!

Thanks, Char. I appreciate you!