Sunday, December 9, 2012

Countdown to Christmas


'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;


(excerpt The Night before Christmas, written by Clement C. Moore)

(mine is the second one from the right)
 
Stockings have been a part of my Christmases since I was a little girl, and I have always filled stocking for my kids. Mostly candy, since it's a rather cheap filler, though I've been trying to get away from that the last several years.

I was surprised, when three years ago we went to Nebraska for Christmas, and my sister confessed to not having stockings for her kids. Doesn't everyone do stockings? Well, no, I suppose not. I did go out and buy stocking for those babies though!

That mirror with the five hooks was bought specifically because it had five hooks and I could actually hang the stockings!

Are stockings a part of your Christmas?

2 comments:

Regina Richards said...

Stockings are always part of our Christmas. And helping Santa fill them is one elf's great Christmas pleasure. All those tiny gifts - perfume samples, special candies, pens and mechanical pencils, silly boxers, nail clippers, chapstick, etc. - that have been discovered in stockings on Christmas mornings past are so much fun to hunt. Especially once all the 'real' shopping is done.

Jen FitzGerald said...

One Christmas, one of my first away from home, a friend sent me a patchwork stocking she'd made filled with goodies. Nothing exciting really but the gift, the thoughtfulness, is a memory I treasure to this day, some 20 years later.