Sunday, December 23, 2012

Countdown to Christmas


Only TWO days to go. I don't have access to my number icon/graphic today, though, so it's just all words.

Today's countdown tradition is baking. I used to bake up a storm. Mainly sugar cookies with colored sugar sprinkles and mini-loaves of banana bread to hand out as gifts to close friends. I'd start in September and October and put it in the freezer for safe-keeping until December. I've gotten far away from that, sad to say. These days, I make pumpkin cake and probably only because I love it so much.

Yesterday, I spent the day with four wonderful women. My critique partners. Each of us unique and brings something special to the group. We assembled at one's home and spent the afternoon talking and laughing and sharing and having fun. In addition, we did a few little Christmas crafts and exchanged ornaments. I wish I had a picture. We were going to take one, but then we all decided it was time to head home and we just plain forgot. :(

The important part there was to take some time to spend with those you truly treasure and enjoy being with. It was a nice break from the craziness of the holiday season. No malls and no crowds to fight with or traffic to navigate. Just a day for friends.

My Christmas song for today--in anticipation of snow on Tuesday afternoon here in northern Texas--is I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas by the one and only Frank Sinatra.


Are you a baker? If so, what are your favorite treats to make at the holidays? If not, is there a favorite treat someone else always made/makes for you?

No comments: