Sunday, December 16, 2012

Countdown to Christmas


So yesterday, we put up the tree. And once you get the tree up, well, you've got to put ornaments on it.

Over the years, I've accumulated two kinds of ornaments. The kid-made, given-as-a-gift kind, annual ornament and the themed kind.

We also had two trees for awhile. The small one got all the kid-made, collectible, gift ornaments and the big tree was all purty and sparkly with the matching themed ornaments. Then we sent the little tree down to the fireworks store along with one of those matching sets and so this year, the big tree will be decked out with all the old stand-by favorites.

My kids each have a collection of ornaments that I made (back when I was single and/or poor) or bought each and every year. These are the ones they get to take when they leave home so that their first tree will not be naked. :)

As we sorted through ornaments, my Brown Eyed Girl said this is her favorite of our traditions.

Here are the girls 1st Christmas ornaments, hand made by me back when I was poor and practiced my craft skills.




We took some time to sort through everyone's ornaments and catalogue them, and we discovered that there are several years for which the kids have no ornaments. So I guess we're going to have to fill in some gaps.

I also came across an ornament that I got from an old friend back when I was a kid.






Here's a shot of Sonshine's ornaments, which include a shameful number of Scooby Doo. He does love Scooby Doo, but even I didn't realize how overboard I've gone. I guess we'll have to lay off the SD. Also in the collection are Blue of Blue's Clues fame and Winne the Pooh who needs no explanation.


So enough about our ornaments....


It's time for our daily Christmas song. Let's see...how about something more contemporary. I mentioned George Strait's Christmas Cookies on Friday, so let's listen to that.


Tell me about your ornaments.

2 comments:

Char Newcomb said...

I have a lot of those special ornaments too that I made or added over the years. It's something I incorporated into my upcoming novel (which may be available TOMORROW on Amazon)! I had a tradition where the kids in the family took turns buying an ornament for their tree. Lots of memories there - both in fiction and real life. :)

Jen FitzGerald said...

Awesome, Char!