Monday, May 7, 2012

So far, so good!

The Jazz Festival on Saturday was a success. The selling of concessions was much easier than I anticipated--got to sit on my butt most of the time. I also kept the band director's mom company, or she kept me company, I don't know which. She's a sweet old lady (89, I think), but she suffered a stroke a couple of years ago, so she can be difficult to understand sometimes.

Yesterday truly began the new round of eating right. I bought a scale and a Britta water filter though I drink straight out of the tap. I'm hoping my family will drink more water too. (Also, I'm having friends over in June and I know tap water has a taste and as I'm used to mime, it tastes fine to me. But when I go to a CPs house, her water tastes nasty to me. So...)

Nothing but water and hot tea to drink, but I've given up the sugar. Ahhhhhh! I know. I LOVE sugar, but it's got to go. Also, the carbs are gone again. Except for my daily lunch of beans and broccoli slaw. We'll see how it goes. Depending on my rate of loss, I may give those up after a month. But lots of protein and veggies.

The goal: three pounds a week for the next 8 weeks. That's twenty-four pounds by June 29th--the day I meet some online friends face to face. I don't want to be a chunky chicken. Plus I just need to be healthy. This event just gives me some good motivation.

On the writing front, I'm proceeding along. I've earned my May charm with two weeks to spare. Ooh-rah! I got back into revising book one this morning. I've had trouble with this book from the get go. Not really from a plot perspective per se, but from the heroine's perspective of the plot. I've had a hard time figuring out why scenes from her perspective are the hardest to write. I've figured out that she's too wishy washy.

Not that she doesn't know what she wants, but she lets others (one certain other) sway her. Then I read a blog this morning about knowing the character's emotion for that scene. All of us are swayed by how we feel on any given day. When we're happy the day goes well, when we're not, the day is harder. Same for the characters. I think this is going to help me some. But unfortunately I think there's going to be more re-writing on this book in my future. Ah, well. It's all a journey.

Time to get to work. Talk to you Wednesday!

No comments: