Friday, June 17, 2011

WHY?

Why are we here in Texas (among other places) experiencing a drought and the upper mid-west anywhere along the Missouri River has been flooded??

Farms, homes, business, wildlife destroyed...

Most of my family, who lives in an Omaha suburb, is fine. Although, my step-mother says that if the water wasn't being "controlled" (HA HA HA HA HA) they'd be wet too. They live only three miles due west of the river. (See the red X.) Luckily the area is somewhat hilly, so they are above normal river levels.


If we can build the Alaska Pipeline, surely we could have put some sort of system in place to pipe all this water to places the need it, like Arizona or Texas?? I mean we had to have known this was coming, right?

Are we just that stupid or complacent or lazy? We must be.

I am feeling decidedly helpless.

What can I do? What difference can I make? It all seems so very hopeless.

2 comments:

mtnchild said...

It is a terrible feeling to be so unable to help. I think you also need to ask yourself about the damn ... do they help or do they hinder. They gather water to help farmers and prevent normal flooding, but they hinder the natural flooding that enriches the soil. There are so many people being displaced either way, but even though I sympathize with them, they live where they live out of choice.

I sound pretty harsh, but I really don't mean it that way. Maybe it is because I feel helpless too.

Love you
Mom

Regina Richards said...

It does make one feel helpless. It also reminds me any problems I had today were slight by comparison.