Monday, August 23, 2010

The downhill slide

My youngest starts high school today. In fact, he'll be on his way to school shortly. His older sister will drop him off and pick him up.

And so begins a new phase in my life as a mother. The baby is almost grown up.

The oldest child has moved out. I'm not sure what her life is like, but as far as I know she's still working, thank goodness, and she has someplace to live. I see her every now and again when she swings by to pick up mail or another box of her stuff, but she doesn't reveal much. But she seems to be doing okay.

The middle child is still at home. Not attending college this semester, but she will be searching for a job soon. She babysat twice a week this summer--just enough to keep her in pocket change. Not that she has any expenses at this point. But it's time to take that next step--a decent paying job and a car of her own. I expect that sometime between now and the time her brother graduates, this daughter, too, will be out on her own. Well, I certainly hope so. :)

The next four years will alternately drag and fly by. I'm not sure how I feel about that, all of a sudden. I have been looking forward to the time when all the kids were gone and my house and my time were my own. But thinking of my son all grown up and away from me...hmm...not so excited at the moment.

Is that a mother/son thing? I never felt that way about my girls. Or is it less the gender and more that it's the baby? Hard to know. Although I imagine in four years I'll be ready for what comes next.

1 comment:

mtnchild said...

When you are in the middle of every day life with all three kids at home, it looks like heaven to have them moved out and on their own. When the time actually arrives, it is a bit like culture shock! You go through the day wondering "What now?" There is no call on your time and sometimes you find it difficult to function.

Enjoy your 'down shifting' from three to two to one, to none ... it will come sooner than you expect.

Love you,
Mom