Sunday, February 24, 2008

Reading...

Fellow NT member Sandra Ferguson has issued a challenge to read a book a week. I've taken her up on it. In fact, with what I've already read so far, I think I've actually managed a book a week since the beginning of the year.

Apparently, people are reading less and watching TV or playing video games more. I'd like to take up the challenge and pass it on. I remember commercials from when I was a teen, encouraging people to read: Reading is knowledge, knowledge is power.

For writers, especially writers of romance, we are encouraged to read what we want to write. Keep up-to-date on what's selling. Of course, that book probably sold to the publisher 12 to 18 months previous to when it's actually available in the stores. But the other benefit of reading (as a writer) is being exposed to writing - mostly what's good, or else it shouldn't be published, right? But also what's bad.(How the heck did it get published?) As a reader, a writer should ask, 'what did I like about this book?' Of course, I love books that make me laugh, but haven't been able to write anything funny.

Anyhow, back to the challenge. From the lists at the right, you can see I have an odd combination of reading tastes.

I'd love to know what you're currently reading ~

3 comments:

K.M. Saint James said...

See, this is why I wanted a list of all NT members who have sites. Here you are, a fellow blogger, and I'd missed your site.

Glad to have you on with the reading challenge. Someone else will keep me READING!

My 16-year-old scoffed (yes, he really did scoff) when I told him I was going to hog-tie one book per week into my schedule. He reads at least twice that many. Of course, he doesn't have a household to run, kids to tote around, meals to cook. So I scoffed right back at him and offered to let him take over my kitchen while I read. Sorry to say that challenge wasn't accepted, but I did try.

What are you reading this week?

I just finished Dreams & Desires Two. Loved Shannon's and Candy's. A few others didn't quite do it for me.

L.A. Mitchell said...

Hey Jen,
I've joined Sandra's challenge, too.

My first book? Hmm..I'll check my TBR shelf and get back to you.

Jen FitzGerald said...

I've got two going...

Comeback: Conservatism That Can Win Again by David Frum and Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver.

Not necessarily pleasure reading, but the first is somewhat educational, the second more spiritual - not that it's not a good book, and I *am* enjoying the read.

I'll have fiction on the list next week.

I think I'd better go make a list to keep track of all the titles. Then we can compare at some point and see how many titles were the same.