Thursday, August 23, 2007

Happy Birthday, Grandma

My grandma in Denmark turned eighty today. I sent her flowers and she was amazed that I could send flowers from Texas to Denmark. I haven't seen my grandma in over a decade, and at this point, I probably won't see ever see her again. She's too old to travel and I can't afford a trip to Denmark.

This is really nothing more than a public service announcement - honor and cherish your parents and grandparents whether they live close to you or are far away. I don't do near enough for my grandmother, despite the distance. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I sent her a letter. She didn't even get a Christmas card last year - mainly because no one else did either, but I should have made a point of sending one to her with notes from and pictures of my kids - her only great-grandchildren.

Exodus 20: 12 says "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you."

I'd heard that this was the first commandment with a promise, but I couldn't verify it quickly for this post, but I did find this sermon online if you're interested in what it has to say about honoring mother and father. I also think this extends to our grandparents. At least it does for me.

And you can bet that I'm going to make that extra effort to send my eighty-year-old grandma letters and pictures more often. I hope you'll reach out, too.

No comments: